S-10 Forum banner

2701 - 2718 of 2718 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
I was finally able to get my truck to the shop on Friday to get it aligned. Holy cow, I never expected going from +0.5° to -1.0° camber to make a lot of difference, but I could tell immediately, even in the parking lot. It no longer feels like I'm steering a tractor, and rides much confident now; the steering resistance has increased a little and it comes back to center more naturally. I had it aligned in 2018 when I added the tall lower ball joints, but the shop that did the job was one of the types that does a quick job to within spec and will charge extra if shims or other adjustments are needed. I don't know the actual final specs are, but the reason I specified the -1° camber (the negative limit of ZQ8 spec) is because it has rode well with that in the past. To help even the wear and extend the mileage on the tires I flip them to the other direction on the wheels at about half their life.

I was also able to hand wash my truck for the first time in a few years. Because we are on well water, and the water is hard in our area, I had a hose spigot added in my garage after the water softener. It worked well and the white spots were minimal and wiped off easily.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Time to do my brakes.
I ordered some slotted and Drilled rotors and the pads were advertised as CERAMIC and they were not. Brake dust everywhere...........

·
Registered
310 Posts
Thanks! The tires are General G-MAX RS summer tires. They were the only summer compound tires in stock in the 245-50-16 size when I got them in January. I paid $800 for the set.
Im running the the same wheels with the bf goodrich g force sport comp 2 tires. I'm in need of another set of 4 and can't find any nowhere. Everywhere is on backorder or they say they are discontinued.
So I'm trying to find another tire at least close to that then if I can't no longer get these.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Did my brake booster twice last week.
First one was a brand new AC Delco booster I found online, only two left in existence and I bought one of them.
Paid $360 shipped just to put it in and have have a vacuum leak and the pedal was hard as a rock.
So I am just waiting to see if they will give me a refund because I am here in Florida and the place I got it from is in ohio, so anyways I just went to AutoZone and got the duralast black painted brake booster with a lifetime warranty and installed that.
Also did a new AC Delco master cylinder.
Now it seems like my front brakes are dragging, so I ordered all new front OEM calipers and OEM ceramic pads and OEM lines.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Im running the the same wheels with the bf goodrich g force sport comp 2 tires. I'm in need of another set of 4 and can't find any nowhere. Everywhere is on backorder or they say they are discontinued.
So I'm trying to find another tire at least close to that then if I can't no longer get these.
That is the issue I ran into when I finally got my tires a couple months ago. I had those same BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2 tires in 255-50-16 (they were the last non race tire in that size) and I was able to get 30,000 miles out of them. They were the best handling tires I had ran on my truck; unfortunately that size was discontinued, so late last year I put a deposit down for a set in 245-50-16 as they were on back order. After several months and several calls to Michelin I was told there is no timeline for when or if they will make those tires again (same thing you have found). At the time the General G-MAX RS were the only summer tires in 245-50-16 available (looks like they still are), so I decided to give them a try. So far I have been pretty happy with them. It's been a few years since I had the G-Force Sport Comp 2 tires, but I don't believe the G Max RS are quite as good, but I don't regret using them and they are pretty cheap.

I will say that after using the BF Goodrich G-force Sport Comp 2 tires I decided to try the all season version G-Force Comp-2 A/S tires and I was disappointed with their handling. Part of that was due to the positive camber alignment, but even the G Max RS tires felt better before I fixed the alignment. Also, the traction of the A/S tires in wet or cold weather wasn't really noticeably better that the summer version, and that was part of the reason I got them in the first place. The only good thing about them is the 9,000 miles they were short of the 45,000 mile warranty paid for $150 of the new tires.

·
Registered
310 Posts
02 S10 brake problems
New duralast brake booster and new OEM ac Delco master cylinder.
After all that it seemed like my front brakes were dragging.
Was thinking maybe I had sticking calipers or a collapsed line.
So I ordered new ACDelco front brake calipers, not used remans, new ACDelco front brake lines and ACDelco ceramic pads.
And it still seems like they have a slight drag.
With the truck off and you have the front end jacked up you can free spin the wheels pretty good.
But as soon as you start it up and hit the brakes a few times and try to spin the wheels it feels like they are dragging again, then when you turn it off it feels like they are still dragging until you pump the brakes a few times. Then they can free spin again with the truck off.
Any ideas?
Maybe I need to bleed the abs since I did a new master and new calipers?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Replaced both valve cover/bolt gaskets with FelPro (2002 4.3 2wd). Weren't leaking too bad. Blue for base, and orange for bolts so you know it's good....lol. Everything looked really good, no sludge at 194,438 miles. Timing cover seeping a bit, a few drips here and there but don't need to add oil in six months (maybe 4k in that time)...I'll wait on that one until it either gets worse, or the tranny goes out. Then, degreased the entire engine, most of the oil was above the valve covers and from the front to rear of the oil pan, from the timing cover.
Question, how much side to side play is acceptable on the rockers? I've got, best guess, 1/32" to 1/16", but only on a few. No other movement. Don't notice any noise. Just leave it be or should I start worrying?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok, I SWEAR this will be my final update on my S10/350 swap story! After my last post, I drove the truck for a few days and the oil leak came back..........WORSE than before ! It was running down the back of the engine and onto the exhaust pipes and smoking badly.

So, I tore the intake off one more time, and took an inspection light and found that the oil was not coming from the oil sender pipe but rather from the back side of the intake manifold. When I flipped the intake over I found NO sealant stuck to the entire backside sealing surface, it was bare and very oily.

I had used a new gasket sealant, Permatex Gasket Maker, instead of the one I usually use "The Right Stuff". I have used The Right Stuff for years with great success, but it seemed like this Permatex product did not adhere as well, So, I meticulously cleaned all the old gasket material and sealant off the intake and block , bought new gaskets, and then put The Right Stuff heavily on the front and rear intake areas. Then I reinstalled the intake (carefully) and torqued it all down.

After letting is set up overnight, I restarted the truck and NO DRIPS !! I have now driven the truck for about a week and it is dry as a bone underneath, and no drips on my driveway. Now I have nothing left to do to the truck, it is running great, has more power than I need, and it idles like a fuel dragster. The ONLY thing I may do down the road is swap out the stock rearend for one with a higher gear ratio because with the TH350 trans and no overdrive it is like driving in second gear going down the road.

Now, hopefully, I can stop bleeding money and get to use this thing when I need to haul something.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
32,786 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. Sometimes the latest and greatest…isn’t. If it works…don’t fix it. 😂

·
Registered
49 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. Sometimes the latest and greatest…isn’t. If it works…don’t fix it. 😂
Thanks, you are right. I should have stuck to the product I have been using for years with no problems.

Like I said earlier, I have named this truck Christine because I swear she is possessed !

·
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004
9,228 Posts
^Da fuq you're still here?

I debadged and destripped my soon to be 2wd 4cyl 5speed crewcab. Took off the black bumpers on the back doors. Gonna reshoot just underneath that white and put em back on. They where falling off and the paint got jacked up from holding water. No rust just chippy and wrinkled.

·
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004
9,228 Posts
I ordered the big ol chevrolet sticker for the tailgate. I'm using front doors and the front clip from a donar ex cab. I don't have to mess with the original front doors. The RF door was damaged in the crash that totalled this crew and beat it's original frame.

Prolly have the last brackets welded on for the cab,crew's tank and fuel lines on it by the end of the week. Get it ready to receive that sweet n juicy 2.2 vin5

Yall thinking LS when gas is $5 a gallon? Nah! E85 till I get a wrecked tesla or something

·
Compliance!
5,156 Posts
^Da fuq you're still here?

Yeah, I still linger here, just not as active as before. I watch the builds mainly. Still driving my truck, it's been good to me. Good to see you still around here.

2701 - 2718 of 2718 Posts