S-10 Forum banner
2461 - 2480 of 2519 Posts

·
Premium Member
1994 GMC Jimmy SLE 4.3 CPI 4x4
585 Posts
The blower motor waited till it was about as hot as Venus to quit on me today. It has a sticker with 10/13/94 on it so I can’t complain, it’s done it’s duty, I doubt the Made In China replacement I grabbed at NAPA will last 23 years. At $25 that’s not too big of a deal though.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
That came out looking much better than I thought it would. Would you PM me where you purchased that wheel cover from?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Yesterday I was quite busy on the s10,
New alternator, 180° thermostat, oil change, rear end fluid change and of course a bath the water was the best part since it was 112° outside.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Just swapped my abs module from my 2000 to my 2002 and no more Christmas tree dash...

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Got two new U-joints on the old girl, now my teeth fillings aren’t falling out. If I close my eyes, and ear muff it, I can almost imagine I’m in the Cadillac. There were no interior squeaks or rattles on the way home, in a 1st gen Jimmy that’s almost spooky…

·
Registered
12 Posts
Got two new U-joints on the old girl, now my teeth fillings aren’t falling out. If I close my eyes, and ear muff it, I can almost imagine I’m in the Cadillac. There were no interior squeaks or rattles on the way home, in a 1st gen Jimmy that’s almost spooky…
how can i check for bad u-joint? everything in the front is good but i still feel the bed/rear en moving but it can be the dry-rotted tires.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
how can i check for bad u-joint? everything in the front is good but i still feel the bed/rear en moving but it can be the dry-rotted tires.
Get under the truck, USE JACK STANDS PLEASE!
Grab the shaft, move it side to side and up and down to check for slop. Personally, I would change front and rear unless you have 80k or less on the clock.

Reactions: Cammerv8

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Also, remove your shaft and make sure both u joints move freely, if they’re hard to move then they’re done. But for $15 a pop for AC Delco or Moog joints just go ahead and replace them. Get yourself some safe tires too amigo.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Replacing my eBay aluminum radiator with a stock one today in my other 03 Sonoma it finally cracked after 5 years. I definitely got my money's worth out of it. Also doing cap and rotor to getting it ready to sale.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Almost ready to go to the paint booth....pull the dash new heater core and add door harness swap the Blazer power doors on.

Reactions: MyWorkInProgress

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's been a month since I last posted so I figured I toss up an update on my turbo dime. Finished replacing the pass side headgaset, tried to flip the manifolds and relocate the turbo under the hood but had issues clearing the PS pump even after cutting/welding the manifold outlet. That was fun to recut and reweld back into the factory position... Also I misplaced the gaskets so I used copper permatex instead, seems to be holding up so far.

Had the clutch fan come off which destroyed my radiator (halfassed screwing it on thinking it would self tighten), then since I'm a cheap dumbass and I put the same fan but now with some damaged blades back on it ended up snapping off the threaded part of the waterpump and took out the remote oil filter lines (but spared the replacement radiator). So, still being a cheap dumbass, I simply cut off the destroyed metal ends and joined the rubber lines with a barbed fitting, aka the rarely seen 'oil filter delete mod'. This had the unfortunate sideeffect of eliminating the oil filter sandwitch that was used to oil the turbo, so I repurposed the gear pump that returned oil back to the engine into a standalone turbo oil system. Don't do this, or atleast not without some way of regulating the oil pressure to the turbo as it easily makes enough pressure to have oil push past the seals and smoke like crazy...

Needless to say, it's seen 0 oil pressure for a few moments and has pegged the temp gauge once or twice in the last month. Also it has a horrific amount of blowby now, So much that driving without both windows down is begging to pass out from the smoke rolling in the vents. I also never got around to replacing the PVC boost pipe which sadly now has a few holes from the heat of the exhaust so boost is limited to maybe .5 to 1psi.

Despite all of the above she still has plenty of power, and once I replace the charge pipe with something less holey I have a fair bit of confidence it'll push 15+ psi again. Not sure for how long but the goal isn't longevity here, it's running till the block has a window. All in all, I've gotta say this $700 truck has paid for itself many times over in just education let alone actual usable miles. Not just basic education, but stuff like making a push button transfercase shift manually with nothing but stuff lying about the garage, making a turbo kit from scratch, flashing/diy tuning the ecu, cracking an engine open deeply enough to do a HG and putting it back together agan, etc. Easily the 3rd worst truck I've ever owned but it holds first place for the most power, the most fun and the most educational truck I've had. Only the first s10 I had ranks lower on the 'worst trucks Ive owned' list if only for the fact it snapped in half after 900 miles of ownership (and 90k on the odo).

·
6th Incarnation
839 Posts
Changed the power steering pump. I had a rat race all over town looking for the parts, sadly. No one has the rebuild kit, and many stores didn't have both the pump AND the lines. Finally one store had 2 out of 3 and ordered the 3rd from another store, so I got them. Then I forgot to ask for a pulley puller, and got to do another rat race this morning -- as it turns out NO ONE CARRIES THESE ANYMORE, except for NAPA. And probably because I used their warehouse store.

I mean what's the point of having auto parts stores if they don't carry commonly needed parts? I love when they suggest to order online -- yeah buddy, I'm ordering online and you're going to lose your job.

Anyway, here's the old pump. It was leaking for a long time before it dawned on me it wasn't the lines to and from the steering box:

Also got new tires last week.

2461 - 2480 of 2519 Posts