S-10 Forum banner

2321 - 2340 of 2347 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Took a 6 hour trip to pick up a full set of extremely clean door panels for $90! Exactly the same color combo, and stitch pattern as mine as well, even came with the window switches! Now they’ll sit in the attic just in case I need them, but for 90?? It’s a no brainer.
View attachment 347754 View attachment 347755 View attachment 347756 View attachment 347757
That's commitment to drive that far. Did the same thing a while back 10 hour round trip to Oregon to pick up this.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Finally got my carpet.....
For starters this is definitely the worst carpet i have ever installed. It fits like crap and they left enough to almost do a Blazer..Lesson learned

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
My rotors and pads just arrived however, I do not have time to instal them on my truck today. Fed Ex and the rest have been taking longer to deliver lately blame covid all you want.....
Next week's project I suppose

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,728 Posts
My rotors and pads just arrived however, I do not have time to instal them on my truck today. Fed Ex and the rest have been taking longer to deliver lately blame covid all you want.....
Next week's project I suppose
View attachment 347833
Before you go blaming the delay due to Covid, you should consider that the weather has been brutal on delivery services. I asked my son (SR Mgr) at FedEx Express if his aircraft made it to Memphis the 1st night the storm hit. He said they normally have 115 flights into Memphis per night...13 made it. After pines made it into MEM, they still couldn't take off. There wasn't 1 available dolly for the containers. All of the aircraft were sitting with full loads. When you consider that they move millions of pkgs per night...it takes a lot of time and people. Fred Smith, the founder of FDX was out sorting pkgs along with the rest of the mgrs in the Crystal Palace. Normally there are about 13,000+ employees working at MEM at night.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,728 Posts
Finally got around to adjusting the brake booster. Much better brake response.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Finally got my rotten frame 01 2.2l sold, got a whopping $100 for it. By far it was the worst loss I've ever taken on a beater but sometimes that is just how it goes. The 00 4.3l 4wd is somehow working great despite eating a dizzy cap screw a month ago. Honestly, I've been pushing it as hard as I possibly can every single day just to see if the motor is going to let go and it simply won't. About the only thing I'm not doing is high rev launches due to the fact both motor mounts are shot and only the trans mount (and driverside ratchet strap) are the only thing keeping the motor from moving around. Otherwise, it sees redline shifts multiple times per day, has hit the 95mph governer a few times, and likke a loyal soldier it does it all without complaint. Gotta love the 4.3l's reliability.

Besides ragging the heck out of the truck I've done a little work improving some things. Replaced the nonfunctional reverse camera that I installed earlier with a new one that wires directly into the old school pioneer x2800bs my stepcousin gave me. Removed the clutch fan in preparation for a junkyard electric fain install (fan was in the always roar failure mode), thankfully with the weather being chilly it has no issues overheating with no fan. Bypassed the AC since the clutch bearing is failing in a bad way using the 840k6/remove idler trick, and might simply remove the rest of the system if the motivation to do it comes up. Picked up a flux core welder and went over the leaking muffler flange again to plug up the bits my $60 stick welder failed on along with patching a couple of pinholes in the muffler.

Annoyingly after I installed some cheap 9005 leed drop-ins I lost my DRLs, I'm thinking the low voltage that the drls run is too low for them to work but I guess I can just accept it as an inadvertent DRL delete setup. Considering the output of those appear to be somewhat less than the led 9006s that I have I might see about doing the quad light mod but on the low beams, I mean its not like the glare will be any worse for others than it already is running LEDs in a headlight that wasn't designed for them.

Here in a day or two I need to do a tire rotation, noticed that the rear right tire has significantly more wear than the other 3 despite the truck being equipped with a gov locker. Also should probably pull the dif cover and see why the damn gov locker aint working/possibly modify the clutch weights to allow for higher speed engagement.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you can't beat 'em, blind 'em!
Exactly! Plus who am I to buck the trend of having horrifically maladjusted lights that blind everyone around me... Speaking of I need to address my pass side being aimed directly at head height, I always forget about it until I pull into a parking lot and see it lighting up cars interiors.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Got back from the Doctors visit and decided to put the project s10 in position to get worked on. She has been on the back burner for too long plus I started stealing parts from her to repair the daily s10🙄.

·
time to get cereal
4,640 Posts
I've seen people looking for stepside beds on here... well, I found one at LKQ Pick Your Part in Washington Park, IL. Home to strip clubs and junkyards.
Just too bad about the permanent bed liner part.

·
Registered
98 2.2 Extended cab, 2001 V6 Extended cab Sport Suspension, 2001 V6 Extended Cab 4x4
943 Posts
So I got some $$$ back from the gobberment and I decided the 4wd needs better sound. So off to car toys 🧸 and I got a Kenwood double din touch screen deck, and some speakers. I installed the Infinity Reference 4x6’s in the dash yesterday and today I modified a set of brand new covers and installed them. They look perfect. This weekend I should have the dash kit and I’m gonna go to town on the rest of the work. I will take pics of that part.

·
Registered
98 2.2 Extended cab, 2001 V6 Extended cab Sport Suspension, 2001 V6 Extended Cab 4x4
943 Posts
Well... The blue truck (4wd) is going in some surgery this week. I went to Lakewood Trans to purchase my parts and ask some questions about my trans, and noticed they offered financing for the repairs... so I applied and was approved for enough to fix my truck. So now instead of trying to salvage my 4L60E and get it to limp along for a while longer, I am getting it and the transfer case rebuilt. In a couple of days I should hear the overall verdict, but I think I will be good as the trans pretty much acted normal in all but the 1-2 shift. I let them know it will be used for the occasional tow job so I want it to handle that.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Drilled and slotted rotors are on finally. The actual difference is minimal with Blazer brakes and stainless hoses.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Finally decided to push forward with replacing my 00 4wd's blackbox with the 0411 that I snagged for cheap a couple of months back and all I can really say is that it was an unmitigated disaster. First had to deal with getting either of my obdlink devices (one lx and one mx+) to successfully read/write to the thing, turns out you gotta run them on the oldest firmware that it'll take for lsdroid to work. Unfortunatly I'm fairly certain I managed to brick the mx+ but I should be able to get that replaced since it's less than a month old... Couldn't find any files for a 4.3l 4wd 5 speed to replace the stock express tune but I did find a 4.3l automatic tune that seemed to be close enough and made a few minor tweaks before flashing it to the pcm (removing vats, bumping the governer to 120mph, etc). The trouble really began when I started repinning as I didn't realize how wildly different each vehicle was year to year and even trim level to trim level and that despite following a '99 swap sheet I basically was giving myself the later task of backtracing every last wire to hook everything up correctly. I'm hoping that I can get it all squared away on fri/sat since I'll be able to dedicate the time to redo everything, in the meantime it's undrivable :/. Now I get why everyone emails that one guy and pays the $20 he asks for the spreadsheet for their specific models.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Took the instrument cluster out of my 98 tonight to look for broken solder joints. Since both the PRNDL and the odo shut off at the same exact time I knew it had to be a common connection. I found a 1702 power regulator that was common, and also provided power for the trip reset switch. It looked like there may have been a crack in the center pin (the output of the transistor). I found a couple other questionable 🤨 spots as well. I got the heat on and reflowed them all nice and pretty.

I took the truck out for a 10 mile ride to verify my work and I didn’t lose the lights at all.

UPDATE: I am going to consider this fixed! I have driven the truck a couple more times since I did the work and not a single flicker. I have also noticed now that I have been able to drive in sunlight that the lights are brighter and look so much better. I dont know if that is because I was able to clean the screens, and the filters or if its because I have a better electrical connection now. Either way FIXED!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Well I got the call from the trans shop. They said it was amazing how well it ran after they got into it. My seals were not too bad in the trans, but my clutches were pretty much burnt. The odd shifting was due to the valve body being wallered out a bit and losing pressure as the valves moved. She said it is pretty common for a high mileage trans. Also someone has been inside this trans before, and didn’t set some things properly which is prolly the cause of the burnt clutches.

and my Tcase... a few bad bearings and seals, it’s going to get a master rebuild kit with new chain, clutches and bearings. So when this is all over my wallet will hurt but my truck will be golden!

Reactions: Gen210

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,728 Posts
Well I got the call from the trans shop. They said it was amazing how well it ran after they got into it. My seals were not too bad in the trans, but my clutches were pretty much burnt. The odd shifting was due to the valve body being wallered out a bit and losing pressure as the valves moved. She said it is pretty common for a high mileage trans. Also someone has been inside this trans before, and didn’t set some things properly which is prolly the cause of the burnt clutches.

and my Tcase... a few bad bearings and seals, it’s going to get a master rebuild kit with new chain, clutches and bearings. So when this is all over my wallet will hurt but my truck will be golden!
Was this at Lakewood Transmission? The lady at the counter is the co-owner...the other is her daughter. Nice people.

2321 - 2340 of 2347 Posts