S-10 Forum banner

2301 - 2320 of 2347 Posts
41,250 Posts
I've seen a lot of people here have problems with aftermarket boxes due to the things that I mentioned. Rather than them being completely rebuilt and having all the worn hard parts replaced they just clean them, re-seal them, adjust the lash the best they can(which is really a factory adjustment for the boxes when new, not to 'dial in' worn parts) and slap em in a box.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,730 Posts
@Harley has a nice collection of boxes...that didn't work, or failed prematurely.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I've seen a lot of people here have problems with aftermarket boxes due to the things that I mentioned. Rather than them being completely rebuilt and having all the worn hard parts replaced they just clean them, re-seal them, adjust the lash the best they can(which is really a factory adjustment for the boxes when new, not to 'dial in' worn parts) and slap em in a box.
Between these beautiful California pothole filled roads we have here and the Camaro rims and the 245/35/20 tires the front end takes a beating. I drive an average of 150 mi 5-day a week in my truck for work.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Got the hub assembly replaced, probably was the easiest repair I've had on this dime so far. Decided to try to fix the alignment but due to the PO installing both tierods backward, I had to remove them and install them correctly before I was able to make any changes to the toe. Thankfully between the boots still being supple and greasing up the pickle fork, I was able to do it without jacking up the boots on the inner side (a pitman arm puller worked great on the hub side). A quick string alignment now has it tracking mostly straight.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Between these beautiful California pothole filled roads we have here and the Camaro rims and the 245/35/20 tires the front end takes a beating. I drive an average of 150 mi 5-day a week in my truck for work.
When this one wears out, look into Lee Power Steering. They're in the LA area, so could save you on shipping for the new box and the core.

Like was said above I've gone through my fair share of rebuilt boxes. Going with someone who blueprints (as in replaces the worn out parts and does calibrated machine work) the steering box is the only way to get rid of the slop. Lee Power Steering is one of a handful of companies I know of and come recommended.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I love it when parts arrive on time. Now I don't have to roll my windows down to open the door.
New inner door handle assemblies FTW!!

·
Registered
2001 Chevrolet S10 Crew Cab 4x4
1 Posts
I just bought my 2001 S10 Crew Cab 2 days ago. I've been driving it for a couple of days figuring out what needs fixed. The steering is loose, so today I jacked the front end up and did some diagnosing.

Looks like I need tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm and center link I ordered some parts and they'll be here next week.

This is my first truck and I'm super excited!

·
Registered
98 2.2 Extended cab, 2001 V6 Extended cab Sport Suspension, 2001 V6 Extended Cab 4x4
943 Posts
Found out my local Advance Auto is closing and everything was $75 off. So I ended up with some radiator flush, a drop in K&N air filter, a new key fob for the ZQ8 truck, a trailer harness adaptor, and a battery maintainer harness for $50. All that for less than the filter would have cost by itself. Yup good day.

We originally went there to get parts to rebuild the throttle body on my friends 93 Blazer (full size), and ended up getting 2 injectors, and the service kit for $80. So yea a win win day today!

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,730 Posts
Thanks for the heads up...which one?

·
Registered
98 2.2 Extended cab, 2001 V6 Extended cab Sport Suspension, 2001 V6 Extended Cab 4x4
943 Posts
Thanks for the heads up...which one?
Today was the end for the one next to Midas. The one in Lakewood is still open. I think they entered a saturated market with a hard to get into and out of store. I usually parked in the Midas parking lot when I had to go there.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,730 Posts
Today was the end for the one next to Midas. The one in Lakewood is still open. I think they entered a saturated market with a hard to get into and out of store. I usually parked in the Midas parking lot when I had to go there.
I just picked up my Optima Red Top there a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I was there a few weeks ago too, getting a part that O’Reilly’s didn’t have, that I didn’t want to wait for. Oh well, the Lakewood store isn’t That far away.

·
Registered
943 Posts
So I finally got around to putting my new lens for my 3rd brake light on the 4wd. New bulbs too. And we were once again working on my buddy’s Blazer. I really hate this truck, but he loves the blocky look of the early GMT400s interior so he gets to headaches with a Tbi engine. Yesterday we rebuilt the throttle body, and decided it needed a new idle air control valve too, and it has always hunted for a good idle. As he was leaving yesterday the power steering went out on him. Dead ☠ gone, just like that! WTF 🤬 so he brings the truck back and there is no fluid movement at all. I figure his pump shat the bed so today we get a new pump, fluid and an IAC valve. We get the pump installed fill with fluid and....

Nothing... no power steering at all. Again WTF 🤬. the idle is smooth at least and we are happy... then after a few minutes of the truck running while we are trying to get some life out of the power steering the truck hunts for idle again... grrr 😡. I hooked my Bosch 1300 up to it in hopes that we can get something out of this primitive computer and low and behold it actually gave me the PIDs that I needed to figure out what’s up. The LTFT was pegged as rich as it could and the O2 reading was showing full lean. Map and ECT was right were I would have expected it. The part that sucks is the O2 sensor was brand new when we installed the engine in the summer of 2019, but being a Bosch unit... yea...

Have I ever mentioned I do not like cold... so yea, I don’t, but I have been stuck working in the cold the last 2 days on a truck I hate... the things I do for friends. Good news is the issue with the power steering turned out to be air stuck in the system. After the truck sat for a few when we were cleaning up tools, my buddy went to leave and the power steering worked like normal. Thank god I do not have to put a steering gear in it.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Placed another order for parts:
New carpet kit
New drilled/slotted rotors
2" drop leafs
All for the daily.
As for the street machine:
2 clean fenders
Battery relocation kit

·
Registered
415 Posts
Pull the 2.2 out of my 99 Sonoma I bought a while back. So I can get started on switching everything over from my wrecked 03 Sonoma to the 99 Sonoma. The 2.2 lost # 4 rod bearing. The head is good if anybody needs a 2.2 head let me know I just charge you shipping the head is free. Also have the coil pack same deal on that free just pay shipping.

·
Registered
88 Posts
After quite a bit more messing around I finally have my 00 4wd pulling only slightly to the left. I'd pay for an alignment but with the control arm bushing being shot (along with literally all the rest of them save the sway bar) it doesn't seem to be worth the time/effort, plus I can only imagine the laundry list of items they would insist on trying to sell me on.

Got a closer look at the rotten frame on my low mile 01 2.2 and decided that I was over trying to mess with it tossed it up on fb marketplace for $250 with the intention of letting it go for literally any cash handed over. So if anyone is in the Detroit metro area and needs a solid 90k 2.2l + nv1500 that'll drive onto your trailer let me know and it's yours for whatever you want to pay, not joking either.

·
Premium Member
1994 GMC Jimmy SLE 4.3 CPI 4x4
288 Posts
Took a 6 hour trip to pick up a full set of extremely clean door panels for $90! Exactly the same color combo, and stitch pattern as mine as well, even came with the window switches! Now they’ll sit in the attic just in case I need them, but for 90?? It’s a no brainer.

2301 - 2320 of 2347 Posts