S-10 Forum banner

2281 - 2300 of 2347 Posts

·
time to get cereal
4,640 Posts
I didn't snap a picture yet, but I got some Brazilian tails from that guy on Ebay. Shipping was super fast. Quality was pretty much perfect, much better than the used originals I have. There isn't any brand identification (they were shipped loose in a normal brown box), no country of origin marking or anything. They look good though, so whatever.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,729 Posts
I'm not a cop, who are you trying to BS? 🤣
😂 😂 😂 I'd like to have an 8.5 before punishing my truck. Art Morrison is just a few miles away. I could take a 4X4 rear to him to be narrowed and different ends put on the tubes. He did a 12 bolt for my V8 Vega. I'm sure the price has gone up a bunch.

·
Old Fart
4,223 Posts
😂 😂 😂 I'd like to have an 8.5 before punishing my truck. Art Morrison is just a few miles away. I could take a 4X4 rear to him to be narrowed and different ends put on the tubes. He did a 12 bolt for my V8 Vega. I'm sure the price has gone up a bunch.
I looked into that myself since Mark Williams is here but it is cheaper to go the way I did. You could always do a road trip down here this spring and buy one of the 2 that were left after I got mine. :cool:

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,729 Posts
I looked into that myself since Mark Williams is here but it is cheaper to go the way I did. You could always do a road trip down here this spring and buy one of the 2 that were left after I got mine. :cool:
Do you recall or know what the gear ratio of them were?? Any left over issues should be taken care of by then. Chances are pretty good they'd be gone by then.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
1 axle missing
3rd member gone
Gears removed
Bearing caps scattered
I have no use for a unit like that...
From experience, the housing is all you really want. Axles are probably worn at the outer bearing and like has been mentioned a trutrac is a great update, which includes the carrier. New bearings and seals are about $100. Yard probably charges less for just the housing too. You're only really out the cost of the gears without buying the whole thing.

·
Old Fart
4,223 Posts
Do you recall or know what the gear ratio of them were?? Any left over issues should be taken care of by then. Chances are pretty good they'd be gone by then.
They still have one left from a 2003 with 70,000 miles and 3.42 gears. There are others around too so I will do a search in your area and see what I can find.

The closest I could find to you is in San Leandro CA other than a yard that sells them rebuilt for $1360 in Tacoma.

·
Old Fart
4,223 Posts

·
Old Fart
4,223 Posts
From what I could find out all 2wd Blazer disc rears came with 3.42 gears. I changed mine to 3.23 figuring that with the extra torque it wouldn't make much difference and might help fuel economy. with my 4.3 I can't tell much difference in performance just my speedo reads 65 I'm actually doing 68 so I'm thinking I should have gone even taller.

If you are sure you want it I could go pick it up for you and store it until you can come down to get it. I could even prep it like I did mine and we could swap it out here.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,729 Posts
From what I could find out all 2wd Blazer disc rears came with 3.42 gears. I changed mine to 3.23 figuring that with the extra torque it wouldn't make much difference and might help fuel economy. with my 4.3 I can't tell much difference in performance just my speedo reads 65 I'm actually doing 68 so I'm thinking I should have gone even taller.

If you are sure you want it I could go pick it up for you and store it until you can come down to get it. I could even prep it like I did mine and we could swap it out here.
I'll call you tomorrow..

Reactions: goes2fast

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
From experience, the housing is all you really want. Axles are probably worn at the outer bearing and like has been mentioned a trutrac is a great update, which includes the carrier. New bearings and seals are about $100. Yard probably charges less for just the housing too. You're only really out the cost of the gears without buying the whole thing.
At this time I have no space at all for extra parts around. Trust me I normally pick up parts that are useful.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Turns out the annoying squeak that I've been ignoring was my wheel bearing failing from either under/over-torquing the axle nut or simple old age. Got the part ordered and now I'm hoping and praying it'll hold together for just 2 more days/2 more 30 mile morning drives without failing. There's only approx 1/16-1/8in play at the very edges of the affected wheel when jacked up and the axle stub/nut only feels luke warm after a solid 20 miles at 45mph so hopefully it should be fine for just two more days.

·
time to get cereal
4,640 Posts
Turns out the annoying squeak that I've been ignoring was my wheel bearing failing from either under/over-torquing the axle nut or simple old age. Got the part ordered and now I'm hoping and praying it'll hold together for just 2 more days/2 more 30 mile morning drives without failing. There's only approx 1/16-1/8in play at the very edges of the affected wheel when jacked up and the axle stub/nut only feels luke warm after a solid 20 miles at 45mph so hopefully it should be fine for just two more days.
Did you try repacking the bearing? Doesn't take very long to do, and you can make sure the nut isn't over tightened.

·
time to get cereal
4,640 Posts
Oops, guess I was in 2wd mode and ignored the "axle stub" part of your post.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My mistake, got lazy and didn't add 4wd to the post like I usually would. Did a little negotiating and found a vehicle I can borrow for the drive I gotta make tommorow so the bearing only needs to survive just 30 more miles which shouldn't be much of an issue. I'd borrow that vehicle today as well but we just had some snow/ice roll through over the night and I'd rather not risk damaging a leased jeep with just 1.5k miles due to someone being in a hurry.

On the plus side the sketchy frame repair patches I welded onto my snapped frame 2wd s10 have been holding up without any issues while moving it in and out of the garage, all it needs now is the fender, bumpers, front clip put back on and the cab painted black to match the other truck (so I can swap the plate back and forth without worry) and I'll have a fairly reliable backup truck for when issues with the 4wd pop up.

EDIT: The trip was successful despite the roads still being quite terrible, the grinding only got slightly louder. Love having the shift lever for the transfer case, so much quicker than the push-button setup for popping it in and out of 4wd for short bursts.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Replaced my steering box in my 03 Sonoma it had some side to side play. I replaced it with a ZQ8 steering box much better now. Having a little bit of a weird issue it's a little twitchy when turning. Is the pressure too high or too low I wonder. I replace the pump a while back did not check and see what the pressure was set at. It was a Cardone 20-8741F Remanufactured Power Steering Pump I used. It was on sale on Amazon for $49 with a $40 mail in rebate couldn't pass it up.
This is the one I used https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/.../2003/chevrolet/s10?q=steering+gear+box&pos=0

·
Registered
415 Posts
It probably has just as much wear as your old one but with an adjustment and a re-seal. Wouldn't be surprised if it's not a ZQ8 box as advertised either, they usually aren't.
It seems right it's 1 turn from center to lock right or left the old one was 1 & 3/4 turn from center to lock either way. The old one the alignment shop try to adjust it but could not get all the play out of it. I bought the old one from AutoZone back in 2017 so it don't surprise me that I went bad.

2281 - 2300 of 2347 Posts