S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1596 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I am not overstepping by doing this, but I love this thread and since the last one is closed (I assume due to the length - 120 pages), I figured I would start version 3

It's not just today, but this week I concentrated on beefing up on tow capabilities. I got hung up on the frame hitting a hard packed snowdrift last weekend and had to get dragged off. I realized that my tow strap was old (I inherited it from my grandfather) and when new only rated for about 1,000 lbs. Also, I still have the stock pirate hooks on the front bumper.

I purchased a beefier tow strap (20,000 lbs rated, 4" wide and 30' long) and some massive brackets to use 7/8" tow shackles on the front (thanks, Jamaroon!). I also have gotten some more tow shackles as well- can never have too many! I will need to sandblast and repaint the brackets from Jamaroon before mounting them but I am moving forward. Sandblasting and painting should be done by the end of the weekend, maybe even installing them.....

I have been offered a new in box 2,000 lb 12v winch. I realize that this is not near big enough for serious offroad work but have been thinking of doing a 2" class 3 mount on the front of my truck and making a platform for that winch with a receiver and gator clips with enough cable to attach to the battery. In the case of my snowbank issue, this would have been more than enough, especially if I used a pully to double it. Any opinons on if this would be worthwhile?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would do the winch thing, if not anything but a learning experience.

You didn't mention the brand of winch, but I would at least double check the mounting hole dimensions to see if they're standard (e.g. WARN). This way at least you have a mount for something with bigger capacity.

2000lbs sounds like a winch for an ATV. I would imagine the mounting dimensions would be smaller?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think so as well. I have not seen it but my Dad bought it on sale years ago - he can't resist a deal. Still new in box....

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I washed my truck, and sandblasted and repainted the brackets I got for installing front tow shackles. Hopefully they will be dry tomorrow so I can install them.

Shagggerz, that grille is awesome!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Did the rear brakes on my 03 S-10. They were original and I replaced the hardware, cylinders and shoes. It has 122,000 miles on it and the rear brakes were original.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I installed tow shackles and hardware. Now my baby is a dirty girl, showing her nipple rings all around town....

·
thread killer
99 Posts
Bought new (to me) rims on craigslist

I have been looking for 3 spoke rims since the day I got the truck.
these were what I figured to be a fair price (I could afford) they were on an s10 so i knew they would fit before wasting my time, also same diameter as my stock rims.

they are staggered, rears are the same width as my old xtreme rims, fronts are an inch narrower. but its not noticeable (the stagger is centered so really they only sit 1/2" in from the outside.

right now they are in desperate need of a cleaning/polish again. but not until it quits raining and warms up out here.

·
Compliance!
5,092 Posts
New spark plugs, wires, ign coils in this stupid 2.2. Suppose to be a quick damn job, but of course i get the seized bolts for the Ign coils, had to remove the whole damn module and grind em down to be able to drill and tap for some new bolts. What a bitch. Better not misfire anymore.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did some much needed maintenance : new tensioner pulley, belt, fuel filter, new plugs, new wires, and changed out the driver side door hinge pins & bushings. Next week I'll be swapping out the old bulbs with LEDs

Attachments

·
6th Incarnation
762 Posts
Did the rear brakes on my 03 S-10. They were original and I replaced the hardware, cylinders and shoes. It has 122,000 miles on it and the rear brakes were original.
How's the difference in braking for you now? I had to have the same thing done to my Camaro last week, when I found out the shoes on one side were completely delaminated. I had 2 good brakes, 1 bad rear, and 1 non-existent rear. Braking is very good now. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did some much needed maintenance : new tensioner pulley, belt, fuel filter, new plugs, new wires, and changed out the driver side door hinge pins & bushings. Next week I'll be swapping out the old bulbs with LEDs

how hard was it to get the door springs in and out? i need to do mine but dont want to not be able to get my door back on lol

·
Compliance!
5,092 Posts
They're easy. If you have a 2nd person to help hold up the door its convenient. I use a 5 gal bucket underneath the door to help hold it up too. Each door for me, since I've done it many times, usually takes less than a half hour depending on how stubborn the old hinge pins are. The GM door spring tool is a godsend for this, definitely get it, they're cheap. I got mine at harbor freight. Search the forum for how-tos

1 - 20 of 1596 Posts