S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 96 Blazer and it just seems like it should be faster with the modifications... The truck feels very flat down low, I couldnt spin the tires if I were to line lock it off the start. Then not until about 3500 RPM does it start to pull strong, at about 4500-5000 it feels like the engine wants to explode and transmission seperate from the block, but the truck is still god awfully slow.

Any idea as to why it still feels about the same power output as when stock?

Any suggestions on how to get the most out of the engine with what it has now?

Here is the modifications list:

Jasper Remanufactuered engine .060 over
Crane 194/204 camshaft (low-mid torque)
Crane Powermax Programmer
1.6 Roller Rockers
Modified Throttle Body
K&N Intake
Edelbrock Headers
Low Restriction Exhaust
165 Degree Thermostat

Thanks

·
Your Mom Goes To College
749 Posts
a.) When you say low restriction exhaust, what do you mean? Like no muffler? If that's the case, of course you are going to lose low-end
b.) Running a 165 degree thermostat is ridiculous. That is way too cold of a stat for these trucks.

·
loco hombre
3,461 Posts
scomp23 said:
a.) When you say low restriction exhaust, what do you mean? Like no muffler? If that's the case, of course you are going to lose low-end
b.) Running a 165 degree thermostat is ridiculous. That is way too cold of a stat for these trucks.
Considering people run 170's with no problem, I doubt a 165 is "way too cold"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sorry, I meant it has a 175 thermostat...

Also, Low restriction means like 3.5 inch cat tapered down to 2.5 inch exhaust all the way back... it has a muffler... I believe it is a Dynomax ultra flow Center in/Side out... They are pretty much straight through.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rat said:
Try unpluging the maf. And check the engine mounts.

A 175* Stat is fine, i run a 170 no problem.
I had been wondering if it is the MAF that is causing an issue.... its the original MAF with 160k miles on it. If I unplug it, and that is the problem, will I notice a difference in performance?

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I just disconnected the MAF and took it for a test drive. The engine felt much smoother up top but pulled less, however down low it seemed to make some difference, but not a whole lot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I figured it out... Half the intake is missing... the filter is bolted directly onto the MAF... I would imagine it is causing the MAF to not meter correctly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts