S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Hillbilly Mechanic
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, this is the 2nd time this has happened, first time it blew some of the cords off as well and was leaking pretty good(before i had the setup re done and shocks added), this time its still holding air(being replaced asap) and i just noticed it the other day when i got my winter tires put on.

Im just curious what causes this, defective bag, bad bag angle(when its up), no idea, im pretty new to this stuff and kinda want to understand whats happening here.

Any help would be great, thanks

·
Hillbilly Mechanic
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive noticed the lower plate has a crazy angle when its lifted up(i drive it pretty low tho so it doesnt bounce so much) but when its down the bag plates are perfectly level.

i can get more pics later this week if needed(not drivin the truck atm...lol)

·
V8 with bags
7,374 Posts
a combination of the angle putting all the tension on one side and it overextending. get some shorter shocks to limit lift, and it wouldnt be a bad idea to maybe re angle the plate to split the difference of the bag angles from lifted to dropped. But the easiest would be to just limit the lift with shorter shocks

·
Hillbilly Mechanic
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, thanks guys, i will have the shop do somthing(like i said, this is new territory to me)

I was also suggested to run 2 valves per bag, as it sits right now its 1 fill and 1 dump for the pair, im guessing corners may not have helped that.

Its a heavy truck (between 6500-7000 lbs), so maybe that is an issue also?

Has anyone ran valves mounted OUTSIDE in the winter before? mine are inside the hatch area atm, but space is runnign out fast and was thinking of mounting them to my frame, thoughts?

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
the 2link is mostly to blame, the bag mounts need to be redone. valves outside arnt a problem (just about every truck has them outside), just add airbrake antifreeze for the winter.

im curious as to what suv weighs 7000lbs but has a 7.5" axle under it?

·
Hillbilly Mechanic
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its a 99 blazer, but it has a lil bit of audio in it

its closer to 6500 atm, theres still 5 batteries and 6 amps not in it.

and yes, i realise the 2 link is not a great setup, but me and a few others were at a loss of what else could of been done. Run out of room very quickly in these little trucks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
its a 99 blazer, but it has a lil bit of audio in it

its closer to 6500 atm, theres still 5 batteries and 6 amps not in it.

and yes, i realise the 2 link is not a great setup, but me and a few others were at a loss of what else could of been done. Run out of room very quickly in these little trucks.
Hell yea! Old school Orion amps FTW!!!

·
moxion234
489 Posts
ummm wow dude.... you may wanna rethink...everything

·
Hillbilly Mechanic
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lmfao, well the truck is gonna be off the road in may, as im gonna drive my other truck(fingers crossed) so i can get some stuff done to this...is there a certain type of air setup i should consider?...like dual bags or somthing?

im new to this stuff like i said, and i know some of you guys are really good at what you do, so im just looking for a little input to maybe make this a bit more reliable.

Note, my 5 battery rack goes at the back of the frame behind my rollpan, so thats the issue with moving the tank back there or anything, but open to ideas

Thanks in advance

·
giggity
1,967 Posts
ummm wow dude.... you may wanna rethink...everything
^this...

I had a question on a setup like this just for info. When running a 2-link, bag behind/over axle, shouldn't the bag brackets, plates, whatever, be level at ride height?? I've been noticing people will have it laid out and they're completely level but when aired up they're crooked as chit... I have a 6-link so this is not for me, it's just for informational purposes.......

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Yeh I think someone done mentioned it should be close to straight at ride height.

When ya gonna get that link on?

·
Inferno Fab
4,441 Posts
^this...

I had a question on a setup like this just for info. When running a 2-link, bag behind/over axle, shouldn't the bag brackets, plates, whatever, be level at ride height?? I've been noticing people will have it laid out and they're completely level but when aired up they're crooked as chit... I have a 6-link so this is not for me, it's just for informational purposes.......

That's the problem with a 2 link.. The setup causes massive amounts of pinion change that cause the lower bag brackets to rotate. You can do as Avtekk said earlier and offset this a little by setting up the bag brackets to be rotated half as far the opposite direction when layed out which would cause the brackets to be level at ride height but you are still putting the bag through hell when layed out, now its not nearly as bad as riding that way but its still worth a 3 or 4 link to keep it from happening at all.

·
giggity
1,967 Posts
That's the problem with a 2 link.. The setup causes massive amounts of pinion change that cause the lower bag brackets to rotate. You can do as Avtekk said earlier and offset this a little by setting up the bag brackets to be rotated half as far the opposite direction when layed out which would cause the brackets to be level at ride height but you are still putting the bag through hell when layed out, now its not nearly as bad as riding that way but its still worth a 3 or 4 link to keep it from happening at all.
hmm...

Yeh I think someone done mentioned it should be close to straight at ride height.

When ya gonna get that link on?
Man... I STILL don't even have bags to even use shraeder(sp?) valves... :(. Being jobless sucks donkey toes.....

edit: sorry op....

·
moxion234
489 Posts
ummm... understand dude im not picking at you and not flaming on you at all.... but are you new to audio has well? the reason i ask is i can see no reason to run that many batt... even for competition i cant see having that many... i mean theres so many differnt ways to do things that would have you way better setup... am i missing somthing here? i dont claim to be an audio guy what so ever but whats the resoning behinde this? and again dude im not hating or flaming you just trying to understand.

1. wtf are all those batts for? IMO you would be better off with 3 or 4 HO alts and a couple kinetices batts.
2. your wrining looks that shit! again not pickn at you but ive always been know for telling it like it is. clean wiring is efficient wiring which means a better performing system.
3.are you experiancing voltage drop from your compressors? if you are or if your just tierd of the insane noise from them when your system isnt bumping you may want to think edc. also look at the big 3 ground upgrade.
4. are you lower bag cups even welded on? they almost look like they rotated on the axel.... fix that shit! if your not concerned with laying frame go with a parallel 4 link. if you wanna lay figure out where to put a fuel cell (if you need help with this let me know)
5. how the hell do you do maintence on any of that? whens the last time you drained your tank? your hosing and wiring look thrown 2gether on that tank and rellly makes me wonder about the rest of your setup.
6. understand i am not hate'n on you in anyway just trying to offer a lil help this forum is a great place to learn... has long has you have thick skin lol.

best of luck
erik

·
Hillbilly Mechanic
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ummm... understand dude im not picking at you and not flaming on you at all.... but are you new to audio has well? the reason i ask is i can see no reason to run that many batt... even for competition i cant see having that many... i mean theres so many differnt ways to do things that would have you way better setup... am i missing somthing here? i dont claim to be an audio guy what so ever but whats the resoning behinde this? and again dude im not hating or flaming you just trying to understand.

1. wtf are all those batts for? IMO you would be better off with 3 or 4 HO alts and a couple kinetices batts.
2. your wrining looks that shit! again not pickn at you but ive always been know for telling it like it is. clean wiring is efficient wiring which means a better performing system.
3.are you experiancing voltage drop from your compressors? if you are or if your just tierd of the insane noise from them when your system isnt bumping you may want to think edc. also look at the big 3 ground upgrade.
4. are you lower bag cups even welded on? they almost look like they rotated on the axel.... fix that shit! if your not concerned with laying frame go with a parallel 4 link. if you wanna lay figure out where to put a fuel cell (if you need help with this let me know)
5. how the hell do you do maintence on any of that? whens the last time you drained your tank? your hosing and wiring look thrown 2gether on that tank and rellly makes me wonder about the rest of your setup.
6. understand i am not hate'n on you in anyway just trying to offer a lil help this forum is a great place to learn... has long has you have thick skin lol.

best of luck
erik

well i appreciate the input, as i said, im very new to air and i DID NOT install this, the truck is a work in progress, i am not new to audio however. Im just gonna go 1 for 1 and answer all ur questions as best as i can.

1. all the batteries are because i built it to house what i will need in the future. as of right now this truck runs the exact same with just 1 of these batteries, but it looks very empty and to be honest the wiring looks even worse that way. the truck is in the process of having a 3 alternator setup done, and these batteries, i would put up against any kinetic battery all day long(1 for 1, these smoke em, kinetik is overpriced garbage). The overall plan is to run 10-15,000rms daily and be able to do around 160db on music, now i know you said your not an audio guy, but to supply that much current to make that much power, theres no other way to do it other than a lot of batteries and alternators.

2. yea, i know, the wiring is hagard as F*CK...hahahha, it works, and thats all i cared about up until a few months ago. The back end is being stripped over the winter and im having completly new copper bussbars made with set screws and all so all wires can be direct connect to hopefully improve the appearnce, and also will be covered so you wont see anything else.

3. the big 3 is the first thing i do in any vehicle i own. the compressors arnt to noisy, as the back wall there mounted to is about 9" thick, edc would be a top choice but since this is a daily driver, i dont want to lose my ac, and all the other room is being dedicated to alternators.also as is, pulling a constant 4000rms, there is a 0.8 volt, yes 0.8volt voltage drop AT the amplifiers. there is no voltage issues at all with the compressors or anything.

4. the truck cant and wont ever lay frame, we bagged the back end because i had a 3" lift and re arched springs and was riding bump stops. again, im going by what i was told by the people working on the air, a 4 link will not fit, unless you have some way that will work? as far as i understand it, the gas tank is in the way of any type of better setup, and i cant move it to where the spare was, because thats for batteries. the lower bag mounts are welded on, there not just on there with hopes and dreams, my cell phone took a shit quality pic obviously, i will try and get some better pics friday when its in the shop.

5. now the hosing and wiring for the tank, your right, i had a steel stubby 5 gallon in there origionally, i had the plexi cut from a friends shop and ordered the 7 gallon, i put it in in a rush to get the truck back on the road, its been installed MAYBE 2 months now...again, daily driver. but it does come out very easily, the plexi was cut wrong, cuz the tank was supposed to be right at the top of the hatch to allow room for the new amps, so its also being re done.

The truck is going to a new shop on friday, there putting in 4 valves outside the truck, so hopefully that clears up some of the mess at the tank(its very tight in the hatch area, and im running out of room fast)

also small note to this novel, the rats nest on the left is 3 extra sets of rcas, and all the excess speaker wire, as the speaker amp is being changed and moved, and im assuming uve never built a wall before, so lemme tell you this, you dont want to cut anything too short until your done, because theres no do overs, this truck is completely sealed off between the b-pillar and hatch. i guess testing other amps also doesnt help with wiring cleanliness either, as after a while you just stop caring. i just cant wait till its done and i dont need to f*ck with it anymore...lol

but hopefully i answered these as best as i can, if i missed anything, lemme know, also, thanks for the criticism, always appreciated, good or bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
ok, this is the 2nd time this has happened, first time it blew some of the cords off as well and was leaking pretty good(before i had the setup re done and shocks added), this time its still holding air(being replaced asap) and i just noticed it the other day when i got my winter tires put on.

Im just curious what causes this, defective bag, bad bag angle(when its up), no idea, im pretty new to this stuff and kinda want to understand whats happening here.

Any help would be great, thanks

my passenger side re6 has done something like this, a tear about the size of a dime, u can see the cords. but i have sd lower arms and sd upper cups and no shocks. could its just be from over extending from not runnin shocks in the front?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts