S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly causes U-joints to go bad because mine have gone bad and have 136,xxx highway miles on it. I heard two things that cause them to go bad lots of miles and beating on the truck to much is that true or does GM just have a poorly designed U-joint in the S-10. What else causes them to go bad?

·
V8 Member
2,808 Posts
136xxx is bad?? dang... id love to get that many miles out of mine...not greasing them causes them to fail....andthey usually let you know before they go "bad"... kinda make a "tink tink" noise when you just start moving...goes with the driveshaft... shit its hard to describe on here...:afro:

·
Registered
87 Posts
That kind of milage on u joints is good. Espessialy if you don't grease them. which most people don't. THey wear out over time. If it is 4wd then they don't ussually last as long cause they get mud and water in them. If the truck is raised or lowered they ussualy don't last as long because they are put under more stress due to the abnormal drive line angles.

·
LEAD FOOT LARRY
423 Posts
These days factory u-joints are not greasable.

Mine lasted 188,499 miles. I changed them because the pinion bearing went out and I had the u-joints and carrier bearing changed just because I felt like it. The new u-joints have grease fittings.

If you do not change your suspension, they should last a long time. If you change your suspension, and alaign everything, they should last a long time.

·
LEAD FOOT LARRY
423 Posts
I have an X cab. I priced parts including the rubber carrier bushing and the parts store quoted me about 140 and they do the labor and balance it.

I handed them the two shafts and got a balanced assembly for 122 complete.

One of the problems with the newer GM u-joints is that they have to be heated to be removed. That is part of why I let them do it. The balance job was the other. I got quoted 90 to 110 just for parts most places.

·
I BURN THINGS
5,880 Posts
S10 Hauler said:
If it is 4wd then they don't ussually last as long cause they get mud and water in them.
Thats not true. How many SUV's and 4x4 trucks actually make it off road? I'm not talking about parking in the grass at a socer game either. I'd say about 90% of the people that drive 4x4s don't use it unless it snows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts