S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have a plethera of bits but the one I use the most are:

Spiral bit for straight cutting (speaker holes)--dual flute 1"-1.25" straight bit works for this too.
1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" round over bits
1.5" dual flute trim flush bit
and a 3/8" and 3/4" chanfer bit.

I highly recommend 1/2" collet if your router will handle it. My router ran much quiter and seemed to have less load with the 1/2" collet bits.

·
Mine Sweeper!
6,512 Posts
for cutting out the speaker holes, i always use a 1/4" spiral upcut bit. then i put a 1/4" roundover on all the box edges. i've got a 1/4" and 1/2" dual fluted straight bit to use when i'm making inset speaker holes or speaker rings.

·
My mirror hates my sub
9,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do u guys ever have anyproblems with the speed it cuts at?? mine seems to take a day and a half to cut one hole

·
Mine Sweeper!
6,512 Posts
what HP and speed router are you using? i don't know my RPM, but i'm using a 2.5 HP craftsman router. that could affect your cutting if its too slow or not powerful enough.

always try a sharp bit, MDF is rough to cut through. spiral upcut is the best for cutting completely through the MDF. i can cut a 12" speaker hole in about 90 seconds and my bit is starting to get dull.

·
My mirror hates my sub
9,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea... i bought a straight bit.. i was looking at the 2 and was thinking.. which should i get .. guess i got the wrong one :-/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts