S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
v SOLD v
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My truck came with a no name muffler with dual pipes coming out the back with a decent set of tips.
I believe the pipes are about 2" each, and the tips were 4".

The tips were getting rusty, so I sawzall'ed them off. Now the truck lost the little "grunt" it had.

I'm thinking about going with a single 2.5" cat back with a SpinTech or Magnaflow muffler, with the exit in the factory location.

Any body have input on this? Or other alternative suggestions?
I want it louder than stock, but not obnoxiously loud. I know that's a personal opinion, and not everyone's is the same.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:
I was also thinking about putting it in front of the rear passenger tire, but it seems like it'll be a tight squeeze when I lower the truck.

·
tuckin' fatties
1,093 Posts
I ran one of these on my 2.8, 5spd.

Monza Pacesetter dual tip, and that was the only "muffler" it had on it, still had the cat though. Wasn't too loud, and got compliments on it all the time, even from old guys. It had a nice deep sound. Also, I had it ran full length straight out the back on 2.5" pipe.

·
started as a 4X4 anyway
793 Posts

·
Bold as Love
1,869 Posts
The 2.8 is a fairly small motor. Keep your pipe diameter pretty conservative so you don't lose any velocity. Too large of a pipe will also make that resonating, buzzing, ricer tone.

I'd do a 2" or 2 1/4" single into a 30" Thrush Glasspack or Dynomax Super Turbo.

·
started as a 4X4 anyway
793 Posts
I agree, but I got a killer deal on the stainless 2.5, 2 inch was my plan, had to change the plan after getting the stainless muffler, cat, and 2.5 pipe new for 90$

·
Josh
82 Posts
My truck came with a no name muffler with dual pipes coming out the back with a decent set of tips.
I believe the pipes are about 2" each, and the tips were 4".

The tips were getting rusty, so I sawzall'ed them off. Now the truck lost the little "grunt" it had.

I'm thinking about going with a single 2.5" cat back with a SpinTech or Magnaflow muffler, with the exit in the factory location.

Any body have input on this? Or other alternative suggestions?
I want it louder than stock, but not obnoxiously loud. I know that's a personal opinion, and not everyone's is the same.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:
I was also thinking about putting it in front of the rear passenger tire, but it seems like it'll be a tight squeeze when I lower the truck.

I hollowed my cat, then stuck a 2.5 pipe in pushed up real hard and welded it , it kept the pip in an upward position then pushe the pipe up again then welded a hanger that held it up level with the frame.

·
Backyard Special
1,344 Posts
I agree with BOLD AS LOVE you should just run a 2 1/4 with a thrush muffler. this is the one I ran in my '91 sounded great but I had the 2.5 duke in it, my buddy has a 4runner with the 3.0 in it and is running this same muffler is sounds real good in the 4runner as well, hope this helps also its a 2 chamber muffler

·
Dennis Panzik Artistry
75 Posts
A shop ran 2 ½ dual pipes with 3” tips.
They are Flo-Pro “40” series.
They didn’t put any baffles in them so it’s pretty much like running straight pipes. At first I thought they were too loud but I got use to it. They have a decent deep tone. Most everyone thinks I have a V8.

·
v SOLD v
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the tips/advice guys.

I guess I'll just keep looking on YouTube at 2.8L exhausts, and imagine what they sound like in real life... not on a shitty camera/camcorder.

·
Dennis Panzik Artistry
75 Posts
Good luck. Cuz I don’t know how else to tell. Not only do you need to hear it in person but you need to hear someone else drive it down the road. After I got my truck back, I was still wondering what it sounded like by others than me driving. I heard it at the shop and they said they could put a baffle in it if I thought it was too loud or bring it back if I wanted it to be more quite. It wasn’t till I had my brother drive it down the road and back a couple times before I could really tell how it sounded.
Maybe work a with the shop that installs it for you.

·
ASE certified MasterTech
8,695 Posts
My first video is of my 2.8, no cat 2.25 full length exhaust with a flowmaster 40 series.

This video is of my 3.4 with the same exhaust setup(never mind the 2.8 emblem, had not swapped em yet:

Probably over my Christmas break I will be putting on my shorty headers, cross over pipe and two 40 series flowmasters with the tips turned out and down right in front of the rear wheels. SHould sound good.

·
ASE certified MasterTech
8,695 Posts
And my 5.7 Blazer just for fun!
Dual three inch flowmaster 40 series dumped:

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
And my 5.7 Blazer just for fun!
Dual three inch flowmaster 40 series dumped:

That sounds like crap, I think you got ripped off on those mufflers:rotf:

3.4 full length headers, 2.5 into single in/out flowmaster 40 dumped at the rear axle.

·
ASE certified MasterTech
8,695 Posts
Ya tell me about it, ripped off big time!!
LOL

·
Wocka Wocka
366 Posts
Stock pipe, no cat, into Cherry Bomb turbo rip off with 2 massive holes in it, dumped before the diff. Obnoxiously loud and annoying, the drone on the highway gives me a headache. Will be replaced with something cheap and mildly quiet, but loud enough so I can hear it fire up in the morning when I hit the autostart. :D

·
Bold as Love
1,869 Posts
Or Tone Deaf.

I heard what I thought was a small V6 the other night, and it was a 5.7 Chevy. I have no idea how they got it to sound like that, and I can imagine how disappointed they was.

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
:haha: ...I Apparently "most everyone" doesnt know shit about engines.....

When "most everyone" is running around with 4 cylinders and a fart can I can imagine everything else sounds good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts