S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for some new headlights and blinkers for my 2nd gen, I would like to swap to HID bulbs but I don’t want anything tacky.

I really like those LED blinker bars that are common but I’ve heard they have wiring issues sometimss.

what are you guys using??

·
B4U Task Force Admin
26,971 Posts
I did the Blazer headlight conversion and 98+bumper and valance. Of course, there weren’t any turn signals. I went with a 7 led light bar from Custom Dynamics that’s about 1.5 inches long and put them in the grill. Load resistors were needed.

·
Registered
98 2.2 Extended cab, 2001 V6 Extended cab Sport Suspension, 2001 V6 Extended Cab 4x4
561 Posts
Be careful with the HID setup. After selling auto parts longer than I want to admit, I have had many people have these aftermarket systems that will have certain issues. Here is what I have ran into.

Ballast is cheap and dies about the same time as the bulb. Have to purchase the hole kit and kabootle again.
Proprietary bulbs that will only work with that ballast/wiring and the company went out of business or stopped selling those. Have to purchase the hole kit and kabootle again.
Bulbs have a cool color, but do not project light. Simply a poor design.
Bulbs do not last long. HIDs should last for years, not weeks or months. Hopefully you can still buy more.
and lastly if the setup does use OEM grade bulbs they are stupid expensive... like in the $100 per each range. Yea I know Amazon and eBay have cheaper but I didn't say Chinese bulbs here I said OEM like Sylvania or GE.

Honestly I would look into LED heads, they draw less current, generate less heat, put out more light, put out instantaneous light, and they are generally cheaper. No special ballast box or any wiring modifications needed, just plug them in and enjoy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had so many issues with HID and pretty much no issues with LED bulbs in my cars.

These trucks are old enough to use standard plug in flasher relays. So you can just replace it with an electronic flasher and avoid using Load Resistors.

I did this with my truck when I went all LEDs. The only downside I see are the turn signal indicators on the dash glow a bit when the lights are on. Likely because nothing else in the circuit draws significant current

·
B4U Task Force Admin
26,971 Posts
Doesn’t always work with turn signals. Load resistors fixed it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Be careful with the HID setup. After selling auto parts longer than I want to admit, I have had many people have these aftermarket systems that will have certain issues. Here is what I have ran into.

Ballast is cheap and dies about the same time as the bulb. Have to purchase the hole kit and kabootle again.
Proprietary bulbs that will only work with that ballast/wiring and the company went out of business or stopped selling those. Have to purchase the hole kit and kabootle again.
Bulbs have a cool color, but do not project light. Simply a poor design.
Bulbs do not last long. HIDs should last for years, not weeks or months. Hopefully you can still buy more.
and lastly if the setup does use OEM grade bulbs they are stupid expensive... like in the $100 per each range. Yea I know Amazon and eBay have cheaper but I didn't say Chinese bulbs here I said OEM like Sylvania or GE.

Honestly I would look into LED heads, they draw less current, generate less heat, put out more light, put out instantaneous light, and they are generally cheaper. No special ballast box or any wiring modifications needed, just plug them in and enjoy.
Okay thanks for the warning. I'll go with LED's then. I thought LED headlights and blinkers needed new wiring?

·
Registered
771 Posts
by quality bulbs and parts. i jhave used retrofitsource.com for several years and have no issues with HID ballasts or any of their LED and or their projectors. Dont skimp on something like brakes or headlights. Pay good money, it could save your life. one of the best upgrades you can do is fit in some toyota/lexus stuyle projectors into your facotyr housings and have 100% better lighting than any stock s10 or fullisze ever had.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts