S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver side floor is wet... I havent looked into it yet, but is there anything obivous i should look for? The truck has its fair share of rust... so im thinkin it might be coming down the firewall during rain. Yet it seems it is only wet on the bottom, I cant find any wet spots behind the pedals.

I want to pull up the carpet and look around, but the screws on the threshold are rusted/ stripped by the previous owner.

BTW It is a 92 4.3 sonoma 4x4

·
potholes SUCK!!!
173 Posts
my windsheild leaked at the top on the passenger side...the water would just drip down on the floor. it wouldnt get anything else wet. just the floor. u might check into that.

·
Hyundai Owner
4,272 Posts
Usually theres a rust hole where the floor meets the firewall and the water runs down to the floor. Peel the carpet back and check.
As far as the plastic carpet holdown, the screws stick out under the truck so you can get them with Vise grips if you have to.

·
Long Bed Member
3,065 Posts
mine used to leak down the firewall and along the main electrical plug that comes through the firewall on the drivers side. some seam sealer fixed that.

·
BARELY Tuckin' Tire
5,862 Posts
mine started leaking really badly after i had 4awg running through my firewall..started leaking like a mofo..

·
WhackdOutGemini
626 Posts
same thing here man, just on my 89 Blaze. I can't find any run off anywhere...just a BIG ass lake. Sucked it out with the shop vac, but it just came back in within 3 minutes. I pulled up the carpeting, everything, and well I didn't have enough time to sit there and stare and ponder. Wondering if it's coming through the firewall somehow. Under the cowl......who knows....PJB your'e right about that rust hole,,,I have one....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guy.... i will check it out tomorrow.. I will try the vice grip trick to remove the rusted ass screws if not i will just drill em out. I dont thin it is leaking through my windshield, im gonna pull off that piece in front of the wipers and look for rust holes.. If not there i will start inspecting the fire wall...

what is the best trick for a rust hole? some sheet metal, silicone, and some rivets???

·
Hyundai Owner
4,272 Posts
I fixed one rust hole with a piece of plastic and a bunch of RTV sealant. That was the biggest hole I found.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Another source for leaks is leaves and debris that get washed down into the cowl area under the windshield and then collecting in the bottom of the fender area just before the front of the doors. This will let water enter through your vents. I usually unscrew my antenna, open the door and use the antenna to clear out the leaves and stuff. Give that a check. Junk in that area will also rust out the bottom of your fenders, where they attach to the body.

·
Work in progress....
868 Posts
I had the same problems and while redoing my firewall found numerous rust holes in the cowl area, around the master cylinder, and a large hole that went into the blower motor! Also found the rubber plug for the wiring was rotted on the drivers side.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It has been to cold, an im too lazy to work on my truck.. Im gonna have to take off work just to get some daylight to work on it.

With the Eagles playing like they have been, i cant give up a sunday to work on it.

Also i think my heater core is leaking now too. ahhhh... Is this possibly what is getting to the driver side, or would that just be on the passengers side. Any common problemswith heater cores that can easily be fixed. Should i uses some stop leak, or just try and find a new/used heater core?

Old rusty Chevy's lol.
I have been loving it in the snow latley.

·
crazy gearhead like woaaa
29 Posts
just replace the heater core, like $20-30 bills dont mess with tryin a stop leak. took me like 2 hours first time doin one i do them in like 30 minutes now. just have to go through the glove box and under the dash with a 1/4 drive ratchet and extensions. replaced 2 in 2 years make sure you get a warrantied one from like Advance Auto parts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sweet..
20-30 for a new one??

Im hoping i can pull it out thursday and get a new one that night. Will Napa carry it.. i only have a pepboys,napa or discount auto in my area. I think the water on the drives side floor might also be coolant.. it has been sub 32 latley and it hasnt froze.lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts