S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be buying a welder soon and have a few questions.... I need something that will weld on body and frame. Do I have to get a 220 or will a 110 weld on frame. Also what kind of welder should I get (tell me enough to be able to tell a shop exactly what I am looking for. I will be learning to weld using this welder so please consider that too. How much should I expect to pay for a decent welder. Thanks

·
/=||=/
589 Posts
Tell the shop "I need to tac weld auto body parts, and also weld frame work... what should I get?"

lol but that would let them know.

·
Registered
222 Posts
if you wanna work on frames i would sugest steppin up andgetting the 220 machine you will be much happier i got myself a lincoln sp125(110) a couple years back and now i wish i had gotten the 220 cauise i want to do frame mods and don't trust the 125 and also have peoel wanting me to do frame work for them

joshey

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How would I plug one of those in? they dont plug into a regular 110 outlet do they? and if not then how would I wire an outlet up?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I fabricate for a living, and I am about to buy a Miller. DO NOT buy mone of the cheapies at Home Depot, and get one with a gas hookup, DO NOT use fluxcore. Both of these don't work so well, and will have you doubting your welding skills, and giving up too soon. As with toolboxes and stereos, get the biggest one you can afford, you can always turn it down, and the extra capacity means it won't have to work so hard. The Millermatic 255 is the best, but pricey @ 1200 or so. I'm getting a millermatic 175 for around 625. It's 220v, but still portable. The 135 is also good for a 110v, but it needs a 20A breaker. Hope this helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts