S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
illusivedreams.org
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I got a LOT of welding done on my bed this past weekend. Check out my custom bed thread below in my sig. But anyway. Last night the welder decided to stop feeding wire. Now this wire has been on the welder for quite some time. Its a HUGE spool.

So, I opened her up to see what was going on. It turns out there feeder wheel controlled by the gun is working, the wire is sitting in the groove in the wheel, but the free moving wheel is not catching, thus the welder is not feeding wire. I messed around with that wheel for a bit. Took it out, cleanned it and what not. It worked for about another 10-15 minutes, and then quite again.

I cant figure it out. Something is not right.

If anyone doesnt know welders, this free wheel is held down by a bolt with a spring around it. The spring is held in place by a washer and wing nut. The wing nut is tightened as tight as it can go and the two wheels still dont make contact. Thanks for any help you guys provide.

Wont be able to do anything with it for a couple of days, since its gonna snow tonight. And I dont have a heater in the garage yet! Need to get one of those this weekend though!

·
278 Posts
i think the groove wears out after a while, how old is the welder? also that wheel usually has two grooves in it and you flip it around for using different size wire, you gotta make sure its on the right groove. also check your spool of wire and make sure it spins easily, its possible for dirt and stuff to get in there and add some resistance to it, and that makes it harder for the drive motor to pull it thru.
the welder i use at work has seen better days, and it was doing the exact same thing you describe. i tried to tighten the wing nut down but it was still slippin thru, so i took the spring out and put a stack of washers in there and tightened it down and its been working good for a few months now. but, i wouldn't suggest doing this because it probably puts more wear on the bearings and drive motor

·
illusivedreams.org
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeha, I called a welder repair place today as well, and he said to try switching the wheel around. I dont know how old the welder is, it isnt mine! I borrowed it at the beginning of the summer from a buddy and he got it from a guy that "borrowed" it from his work like a year ago.

Its a Lincoln SP-125 if that makes a difference....I'll try that stuff before I go throwing a mess of washers on there as well...

Thanks for the tip by the way!

·
illusivedreams.org
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alteredimage said:
Might want to check the wire guide in the lead they wear out and cause the wire to bind causing the feed wheels to slip.
Stupid question, but what/where is the wire guide?

·
Registered
464 Posts
alteredimage said:
Liner , guide . patato, potato But you are right the correct name is a liner.
lol...I wasn't bustin yer balls man...just trying to help out, I knew what You meant, just threw up the link for info ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts