S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I <3 SPARKS
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gotta get a high current extension cord for my welder. I tried a long regular one today and the welder bogged down when I started welding. The guy at Lowes said it's best to get the wire frmo him and make it myself. I'm gonna get some thickass shit and hopefully this will solve my problem. The place I'm welding is a long ways from an outlet.

Think a beefy ass DIY cord will solve it?

Thanks!

·
bitch
7,884 Posts
when i had my welder i made my own from lowes, wasn't too expensive.

·
lame-o
792 Posts
depending on your amperage draw from the wall and the length you are going, you can get some 10/3 or some 8/3 wire and that should be plenty!

If you only have a 110v welder I don't think they have 8/2 wire, but if they do get that!

I have one 30' long on my Syncrowave 180 and it draws about 67 amps from the wall, I have never had it bogged down with a 8/3 cord(maybe it was a 6/3 i ll check this weekend)

t

·
I'm poor
1,665 Posts
my buddy made one out of that white cable that is used in house walls with a house socket on the end. its alright, but he zapped his ass the other day triing to unplug the welder LOL

·
Registered
24 Posts
i made a 10 footer for my 220. its some super flexible multistrand crap, 8 guage wires, and some beast ass ends. best thing i ever did.

·
I <3 SPARKS
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just made mine.. I bought 10-2 wire.. It's good for 30 amps up to 100ft. I got a 100ft roll of it. It was pretty easy, but the ends pissed me off some :/

·
Stop reading this
599 Posts
i made one about 25' using 10/3 and it has a very flexabile housing, and it's rated for 600volts 40 amp got it from Home Depot . Just bought 6/3 to run a socket to the other side of the shop so i can hook my Plasma up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts