S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. this problem might be a bit difficult to explain... but im gona give it a shot...

When I am driving the truck and i give it some gas... like say i've had my foot off the gas for a few seconds.. or im shifting gears... the back end seems to kick out a bit... and its like one side of the truck is pushing harder than the other... it kicks to the right side...

i dunno what it could be...anyone have any idea's??

I checked my drop blocks and they are not cracked... my suspension seems ok in the rear... shocks are new.. u-bolts are tight... everything back there is fine...

help!

·
Muppet Baby Member
4,261 Posts
if your running a peg legged rear end... and the 20"s.. it might just be that the power to one wheel be shoing up cuz the larger diameter tire?

·
LEAD FOOT LARRY
423 Posts
Check the center to center of your wheels on both sides.

If your axle shifted slightly, you will have a pull.

While you are at it, check your front end parts for wear. Sometimes what you think is happening is a result of something else being wrong.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So.. last nite i checked things out a bit better...

I measured center to center... and the passenger side is off an inch...

appears to be off that inch jsut in the front...

I also measured from the u-bolts to the end of the load spring.. and those distances are ok...

I also stood on the rear bumper while my dd was looking at stuff underneath and it made a pretty harsh rubbing noise.. so i jumped on it a couple more times and it looks like the drivers side shock is toast.... these shocks are pretty much brand new... i just put them on in march... they are toxic drop shocks...

could that have anything to do with it??

lemme know what you guys think...

if you want all the exact measurements I can get them later tonite when i get home.

·
LEAD FOOT LARRY
423 Posts
If your shock is bad, your left front will pick up faster and higher causing more weight to be put on the right rear. You should feel almost like you are trying to turn left.

Watch the front during acceleration, does the left come up faster than the right?

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The truck is kicking out to the right... and the truck seems to steer to the left... i need to correct when im off the gas... but it corrects itself when im on the gas...

make any sense?

·
LEAD FOOT LARRY
423 Posts
If the right side is 1 inch longer you will have a natural tendancy to turn left. Compound it with the left front shock possibly being bad makes for an interesting drive.

What does the truck do when you brake?

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its the rear driver side shock thats bad

when it brakes.. not sure.. i'll try and test that tomorrow... how should i test it... just giver then slam the brakes on .. or brake slowly? hand on the wheel or not??

·
LEAD FOOT LARRY
423 Posts
Drive normal and brake normal. See which way it pulls. Then do a panic type stop.

With the left rear shock bad you still get poor suspension action and weighting on the right side.

·
LEAD FOOT LARRY
423 Posts
there is a natural rise in the rear of the vehicle during acceleration. The shocks help control the rate of lift. If one is bad, the lift will be maxed out.

Visualize, you are looking at the tail gate. when the truck is accelerated both sides should rise equally. With a bad left shock, the left side lifts faster and higher putting more weight on the right wheel. this causes the tire to actually dig in harder making the truck try to turn left.

With the extra inch on the right side makes it worse.

You said your axle is evenly spaced with the spring mounts, what condition are your a-arm bushings in?

Get the shock issue fixed, then work on the spacing front to rear.

I hope they are still in waranty.

·
LEAD FOOT LARRY
423 Posts
they are located on the a-arms where they bolt to the frame. the top ones are on a shaft where the alaignment shims are. The bottoms are individually bolted to the under side of the frame.

You can look and see if any of them are rotted or off set. They should be centered.

Are your front fenders even height? I have read about the S truck lean when the front is lowered.

·
LEAD FOOT LARRY
423 Posts
My pleasure. I'm off to bed, got to drill and attempt to ez out a couple of exhaust bolts that broke off.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When I brake it seems to go to the right side.. but as soon as i let off the gas it wants to pull to that side too... when i press the gas it seems it pulls to the left side...

What should I do.. what would you suggest?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts