S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
KeepDreaminXtreme
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every once in a while i get a wierd noise that i think its coming from the drive shaft but not sure. It only does it when i'm cruising down the road and the truck speed i guess you can say matches the enginge speed( truck is pretty much coasting on its own and there is no accelerating or decelerating force on the driveshaft from the engine). The noise is very faint and almost sounds like tires on a concrete roadway or bridge. If i accelerate slightly or heavily or get off the gas it goes away. Truck feels fine and drives normal so i'm guessing its not a problem but is it a warning of something wearing or is it something that just occurs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
KeepDreamin said:
It only does it when i'm cruising down the road and the truck speed i guess you can say matches the enginge speed( truck is pretty much coasting on its own and there is no accelerating or decelerating force on the driveshaft from the engine). The noise is very faint and almost sounds like tires on a concrete roadway or bridge. If i accelerate slightly or heavily or get off the gas it goes away.
Sounds to me like you have a bad u-joint. Jack the rear up on jack stands. Block the front wheels. Leave it in park and get under there and wiggle the rear wheels forward and backward. Keep doing that while you are looking up and down the driveshaft at the universals. You will probably discover that one of them has the tiniest little bit of play in it. That will mean the roller bearings are gone on the u-joint. Not a big deal. Not a hard fix with a vice. You can keep driving it, too if you don't want to go after it. It will take a long time to fall out of there, but the vibration will slowly keep getting worse and worse. If you drive it hard, get it fixed.

·
KeepDreaminXtreme
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks

·
Registered
847 Posts
i have a weird grinding noise when i take off from 1st.
its coming from the tranny its a 5spd. my dad thinks i
sould gust replace it. how much would that cost $$$$
can anyone help!! please

·
KeepDreaminXtreme
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it depends on what is causeing the noise. I say take it to a shop and see what they say it is and go from there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts