S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Old Fart
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would start this thread about my wife's DD and my toy for Wednesday night test and tune/grudge racing at our local track.

It is a 2017 VW Golf R that is stock except for an APR Stage I tune and runs 12.90s at approx 6,000 ft altitude. I just made an appointment at my dealer for the 30,000-mile service and while it is there they will install An APR downpipe and the Stage II tune that comes free with the downpipe when you already have the tune.

I also ordered a larger intercooler and a custom less restrictive turbo inlet that I will install myself in hopes of getting down to around a 12.0 quarter-mile time.

Here are a couple of photos of our "Sleeper".

Rear view with winter wheels and tires, best snow vehicle I have ever owned!

Driving this car is the most fun you can have with your clothes on and it's practical as well! You wouldn't believe the crap I've hauled inside it, an amazing amount of room for cargo.

·
Old Fart
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
12.90's is pretty good but I hope everything about them are better than when the new Beetles came out. Those things a piles of crap.
A lot has changed since then, I have had 3 VWs recently and the only problem I have had was with the Blue Def injection on my diesel, From what I hear from my diesel mechanic friends every diesel manufacturer is having problems with that crap. My dealer fixed mine under warranty in a couple of hours and I had no further problems until I sold it back to VW after owning it for 3 years for $1500 more than I paid for it new. The other 2 I just have had to do normal maintenance and drive the s**t out of them.

·
Old Fart
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got my 30,000-mile service done and an APR downpipe installed along with a stage 2 tune at my VW dealer. I am installing the bigger intercooler and turbo inlet myself and when done it should be just under 400 hp and 409 Ft. Lbs. not bad for a 2.0 with all stock internals. :cool:

·
Old Fart
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you AutoXed it?
Not yet only at the drag strip for baseline times and upgrade times so far. If I upgrade to some H&R springs I might start autocrossing.

The last time I did any I was very unhappy with the unfair SCCA rules that I lost interest. I had a Mustang II that had a rating of 140 hp and because it was an American V8 I was in the same class with big block Transams with more than double the power instead of the Datsun 240 - 280Z which had about the same power and weighed a little less. My times were about the middle of the range of theirs so it was obvious what class I belonged in. I don't understand why they don't use HP to weight in stock classes to be fairer.

·
Super Moderator
20,517 Posts
How is the ride comfort?

·
Old Fart
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How is the ride comfort?
It rides very good for a sporty car, It has several settings from comfort to race, all you have to do is push a button on the console to change to suit your mood or circumstances.

·
Old Fart
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I mostly run for myself, for fun, self improvement, experience etc... It doesn't always have to be about the other cars/competition.
I'm a very competitive person so I like a level playing field if I'm paying money to play.

·
Old Fart
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got my intercooler, turbo inlet, and silicone hoses installed over the holiday weekend so all I have left is the new CAI that is a definite improvement over the factory set up.

This is the top view of the new downpipe that my VW dealer-installed along with the Stage 2 tune.

The view of the monster pipe and high flow cat that made a very noticeable difference in boost lag basically there is none now! :cool:

This is all you can see of the new intercooler once it's installed, just a little of the aluminum tank instead of the stock plastic one.

Stock plastic turbo inlet vs new larger aluminum one.

The stock plastic one has a big hump where the smaller pipe is on the inside where the aluminum one is a large smooth radius with no restrictions.

The stock one takes cool air from just above the radiator and so does the aftermarket one I'm getting but the new one has twice as much opening to suck air through along with twice as much air cleaner area that is still inside a closed box like the stock one minus the noise baffles, then instead of the accordion hose to the turbo inlet, this one has a nice smooth carbon fiber pipe along with smooth silicone hose connections. It was out of stock so it didn't come with my intercooler but was supposed to be in this week and ship today with an expected delivery of Thursday, June 4th. which is the day after the next "Test and Tune Night. 😰

·
Old Fart
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just after posting last time I got an email from ECS saying my order is delayed by a week so I'm seriously bummed! 😰😭

·
Old Fart
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Part of my new intake arrived today so I threw it on.

I decided to save a little money by going a different route. The carbon fiber pipe to the turbo is the same but I'm reusing the stock filter box less the baffles with a high flow filter in place of the stock paper one. Then the last piece that I'm waiting for is a carbon fiber dual inlet for the airbox that replaces the single inlet factory one. That last part is supposed to ship on the 18th.

·
Old Fart
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Get your other parts yet?
They came yesterday but I haven't taken pics yet. I will be going to test and tune night this week to see how much difference it makes.

Pics tomorrow.

·
Old Fart
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here are the promised pics.

This is the stock intake.

Passenger side is open in front and rear allowing warm engine compartment air as well as air from the grill area. The only reason I can think they did that is for winter weather?

Drivers side is fake and blocked off.

New intake only gets cool air from the front which is a big plus for a turbocharged engine.

Routes air to stock air filter box that I took the noise baffles out of and replaced the stock filter with a high flow element.

Driver's side now open along with the passenger side that is only open from the front now.

I also added a carbon fiber cover for the fuse box and ECU for some matching added bling. :cool:

It's too bad there isn't something this effecient available for our S10s.

Tomorrow it's off to the local drag strip test and tune/grudge race night to see how much difference my $$$ made.

·
Old Fart
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, guys I have 3 more carbon fiber pieces I want to add but it's not cheap so a little at a time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts