S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I snagged a used 38dgas off ebay. It has the black base bracket and instruction booklet only. Im wondering what all ill need to get this thing on. I know ill need a T vacuum plug and some vacuum hole plugs. Ive got a fuel pressure regulator and gauge ready as well.

The black base looks as though it acts as the base gasket. But im not sure.

·
overthinker extraordinar
650 Posts
got some pics? The black base, if it is like mine, is indeed the gasket.
What year truck are you putting this on?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is going on my 83 2.8. No AC or AIR pump. I still have EGR though. Here is one of the pics from the auction. I'll get some other pictures later if needed.

I know I'll need some wire for the electric choke as well. That'll go to an ignition source. I'll also need to get some 3/8 fuel hose and a bunch of clamps. I'm really just wondering about the gasket

·
overthinker extraordinar
650 Posts
Yep, the black gasket sits between the manifold and the base. I have this carb on my 85. When you get ready to install, and if you need, post or pm me. I can try to help. I just installed an edelbrock manifold so it is now slightly different but I am sure it is still very close to what you need to do.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I got her all hooked up. Everything seems to be running fine. A slight shake every now and then, and the idle seems a little low. I'll mess with that later. The only issue is my vacuum is reading around 13in, and the needle is shaking slightly. I checked the vacuum a couple weeks ago with the old rochester still on it, and it was only pulling like 16in. I did the carb cleaner test and could't find a leak.

I was hoping with this weber install and the removal of a bunch of vacuum lines, that would bring my vacuum up a bit. I plugged all the existing ports that I could see.

Even with this vaccum issue, sweet baby jesus the throttle response is amazing. I can't wait to get this thing dialed in.

·
Boozebag
8,995 Posts
Check your vacuum reservoir - located at the front of the inner fender panel on the driver side. They crack pretty regularly and cause a vacuum leak.
Also, if you have cruise control, check that also.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol, guess I forgot to mention I made an egr block off plate. Found the leak! I'll do a better job of flat mounting this plate first with the original egr so it doesn't "bow up" in the middle.

Now I'm back to about 16in of vacuum. I need to get a tach to dial in the idle speed. It sounds ok to me, but maybe I'm just setting a low idle.

I sprayed carb cleaner all over the vacuum reservoir fittings and hoses, no change in idle. Checked the carb mounting base, and all other vacuum hoses and fittings that are left. Hopefully this low vacuum is just from something easy like idle speed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, just to make sure I've got all the vacuum lines hooked up properly. I've got one going from the left side of the carb (opposite of fuel inlet) to the pcv into the valve cover. On that same line there is a Y split that is going to some vacuum canister that i believe goes to the brake booster. The brakes work amazingly, so I know thats all hooked up fine. The only other vacuum i have hooked up to anything is the front of the carb at the base. That line is going to the distributor.

I've capped all other lines, including ones that come from the cannister, up the front/side of the block. Is this all the vacuum that is needed?

·
overthinker extraordinar
650 Posts
If you don't need to worry about emissions and it runs good you are good to go. The only other thing I think that runs on vacuum are the heater controls in the cab. at least they do on my 85.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah ok yeah, I'm gonna want those. I think thats the little cannister thing on the firewall just above where the hoses go in to the cab.

·
overthinker extraordinar
650 Posts
mine doesn't have a canister. But the hose goes through the firewall about in the center. A canister would be a good ting too, it would help with the operation of the controls.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
3 Participants
jcricket
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing