S-10 Forum banner

wax / polish / clay bar ??

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  quamen 
#1 ·
I am trying to figure out what is the best thing to do.

I have a 98 Isuzu hombre and I have been using polish ever since I got the truck many years ago. I use a really nice polish that my dad uses that leavs a very nice, very sleek finish. I have never waxed the truck since I have always heard that polishing is better.

After years of use / highway driving my hood has lots of small / medium chips in the paint from trucks carrying rocks. It also seems to have lost its original shine.

What can I do? I have a 3M small scratch removal paste that I got from Advanced Auto Parts.

Is there any difference in polish vs wax ??

What is the clay bar that I have been reading about ??? Will it remove the wax / polish finish ??

Help me out-Thanks

#4 ·
Cadmans' right. The clay bar takes off contaminets in the paint (bugs, tar, enviromental fall out). A cleaner takes of the left over residue and some of the finer scratches. A polish adds the shine you so desperatly crave. And the wax protects all the hard work you just did. I like the Clay Bar brand of clay and the Meguire's 3 step process (Cleaner,Polish,Wax). Then I use the Meguire's spray on wax for touch ups. Another thing the clay bar does remove bugs, and tar but its harder then just using a dedicated bug and tar remover:worship:

#13 ·
what if i wanna use a buffer. Clay bar, cleaner and then buff the polish on and then buff the wax on or what? I have never used a buffer with this before but i hear it works wonders

Cause i usually just use clay, cleaner, polish and wax...

#14 ·
Well it depends on a buffer. If you dont know or never used a ROTARY buffer, the kind that just spins in one direction, dont use it. You will most likely burn right through the paint in front of your eyes.

You need a DA (dual action buffer) or a orbital buffer. A orbital does nothing except save your hand and arm from cramping. the best bet is a DA buffer. It turns in a spin motion but also goes in a back and forth motion. 100 percent safe and great results. I use a portar cable there great.

if you clay bar, then no cleaner is necc. That is the same thing bascially. I rather clay bar it is easier, cheaper, quicker and better results. After that you can apply your favorite polsh, glaze and then wax. I never liked to wax a car by buffer, only to apply polish or glaze. That is just my opinion, i just like applying a wax by hand.

I you dont detail your car every 3 months this is what i would say to do.

Clay bar, polish or glaze, a glaze helps fill in and hide imperfections. If you want to remove the imperfections you can use DACP Dual action cleaner polish by meguairs, follow that will swirl free polish, then seal the paint and apply a wax. Your truck will look amazing

The best products out there no one buys, cause there not in retail stores. Clearkote.net and poorboys are the best products.

order from premiumautocare.com

poorboys you can use in the sun if you dont have shade. I reccomend the CK vanialla moose wax, or poorboys poiish with carnuaba for your glaze/polish.

swirl remove i would go with DACP and swilrl free by meguairs.

sealant the poorboys EX sealant and the wax CK(clearkote) carnauba moose wax

#16 ·
The list is right there.

But here it is again.

First Step clay bar#1. Clay magic is great or Meguairs, not mothers there no good.

Step number 2 is to Swirl remove. Meguairs DACP, Dual ACtion cleaner polish. (if you have like a light colored vehicle, white it may not be necc,but i would do it anyway.

Step 3 Glaze or polish. premiumautocare.com

Get the Vanialla moose from there, or get the Poorboys Polish with carnuaba. Both are great,just that poorboys u can use in the sun. I like the Vanialla Hand Moose better.

Step4. Sealant. Poorboys EX Sealant
If you wax your car like every 3 months dont bother doing this.

Step 5. Clearkote Carnuaba Moose wax or Buy some S100 wax(you get it from the Harley Davidson bike shop)

then stand back and say damn, never thought my car would like this.

I would personally top the Vanilla Moose(the polish), with the Vanialla moose wax. it looks wetter then if topped with the s100 wax.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.