S-10 Forum banner

water trap ?

1K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  SlowBlue00 
#1 ·
it seems like everyone has a different opinion of where to put the water trap. i like in ky we have cold winters and i want to know the best way to keep my valves from freezing. the valves will be under my hood (just doing front for now). i already have a 3/4 water trap with a t after it going to two 5/8's lines. is this over kill? and should i take it back and just buy a 3/8 and put it before my tank (or will to much condensation build up in the tank)? thanks for any help

#2 ·
Most peoples opinions are the same, as a matter of fact, that the water trap should go between the compressor and the air tank, as that will keep out 95% of the water. As far as the other 5%, make sure your tank has a drain valve on it, and drain the tank once a week, and you shouldn't run into any problems.

#3 ·
so i should take my 3/4 back and get a 3/8 and save some moola, oh yeah and is 24 dollars good for a speedaire 150psi 3/8 watertrap

#6 ·
if u live in a tropical area u will definately need a watertrap! its not just a water trap its an air filter also

#8 ·
would putting the thick black foam insulation around the valves be a good idea to keep from freezing?? i know in the winter time here we wrap our outside water faucets with it to keep the pipes from freezing....would this help any??

#12 ·
it was 27 here last night and has allready been 5 nights so far with 30 degree or less...kinda chilly...oh yeah i have the 5 gallon slim tank mounted in my bed and the bottom of it has the 1/4 port i guess for a drian but what i did was run a 90 out of the port into a 3 inch nipple into another 90 straight up then into a single needle tank guage....is there anyway water will affect my guage...the water will have to be standing 2 inches or so before it could go up into the guage..i also have a cheap homedepot water trap between the comp and the tank...i guess if i have to drain the water i will have to take the guage fittings apart.later

#15 ·
An air objects rating IS NEVER its max psi. You can 175 to those cambell housefeld traps EASILY with no problems.

I WOULD NOT DRILL AND TAP AN AIR TANK, IT IS NOT THICK ENOUGH FOR THAT. You would need to drill a hole, and WELD on some threaded bungs.

Your other option is to unbolt the tank and drain it once every two weeks

Your third option is to get new tanks that have ports on the bottom.

#17 ·
i took my 3/4 inch trap back and got a 3/8 now i just need to go buy a drain plug for my tank and i will be set i hope.................well that is if i ever get my truck back from the body shop. fbi.com takes to god damn long to ship a roll pan

#18 ·
Just curious.....do you HAVE TO get a water trap??? I have my tank mounted under my bed with a port facing down.....and I unscrew that port and drain the tank once every other week. Is this ok to do??? Or do I have to get a water trap? I've been doing this since June.

WILLIE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.