S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I'm Rick James Bitch
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it seems like everyone has a different opinion of where to put the water trap. i like in ky we have cold winters and i want to know the best way to keep my valves from freezing. the valves will be under my hood (just doing front for now). i already have a 3/4 water trap with a t after it going to two 5/8's lines. is this over kill? and should i take it back and just buy a 3/8 and put it before my tank (or will to much condensation build up in the tank)? thanks for any help

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
Most peoples opinions are the same, as a matter of fact, that the water trap should go between the compressor and the air tank, as that will keep out 95% of the water. As far as the other 5%, make sure your tank has a drain valve on it, and drain the tank once a week, and you shouldn't run into any problems.

·
I'm Rick James Bitch
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so i should take my 3/4 back and get a 3/8 and save some moola, oh yeah and is 24 dollars good for a speedaire 150psi 3/8 watertrap

·
Beeyotch
189 Posts
Do we need a water trap if we live in a tropical area where there is little to no moisture? Sorry to whore the thread.

·
Registered
83 Posts
doesn't tropical mean that there is moisture in the air, if it didn't it would be more like a desert?

·
I'm Rick James Bitch
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if u live in a tropical area u will definately need a watertrap! its not just a water trap its an air filter also

·
Registered
673 Posts
Anyone know how true water traps are when it comes to there psi rating? I have 2 of the campbell hausfelds that are rated at 150psi, but i want to run 175psi. Will they blow?

·
Got Stones????
609 Posts
would putting the thick black foam insulation around the valves be a good idea to keep from freezing?? i know in the winter time here we wrap our outside water faucets with it to keep the pipes from freezing....would this help any??

·
I <3 SPARKS
7,977 Posts
man where in AL are you at? it freezes like once or twice here... and it only goes down to like 30 lol.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Somebody once told me that valves only freeze internally not externally. So as long as there is no water/moisture in the valve it shouldn't freeze right? My tanks only have ports at the ends, is there anyway to put a drain in the tank on the bottom?

·
Got Stones????
609 Posts
it was 27 here last night and has allready been 5 nights so far with 30 degree or less...kinda chilly...oh yeah i have the 5 gallon slim tank mounted in my bed and the bottom of it has the 1/4 port i guess for a drian but what i did was run a 90 out of the port into a 3 inch nipple into another 90 straight up then into a single needle tank guage....is there anyway water will affect my guage...the water will have to be standing 2 inches or so before it could go up into the guage..i also have a cheap homedepot water trap between the comp and the tank...i guess if i have to drain the water i will have to take the guage fittings apart.later

·
Registered
57 Posts
Alright cool, well thats what I guess I'll do then. Since the ports on the tank now have a protrusion, and it is threaded on the inside, do I need to weld something like that to the tank? Or is the tank thick enough to drill and tap for a fitting?

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
An air objects rating IS NEVER its max psi. You can 175 to those cambell housefeld traps EASILY with no problems.

I WOULD NOT DRILL AND TAP AN AIR TANK, IT IS NOT THICK ENOUGH FOR THAT. You would need to drill a hole, and WELD on some threaded bungs.

Your other option is to unbolt the tank and drain it once every two weeks

Your third option is to get new tanks that have ports on the bottom.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yea I didn't think it was thick enough to drill and tap but thought I would ask your guys advice. Not sure what I want to do then, I've already got the tanks. But it might not be less of a hassle just to get new tanks. Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

·
I'm Rick James Bitch
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i took my 3/4 inch trap back and got a 3/8 now i just need to go buy a drain plug for my tank and i will be set i hope.................well that is if i ever get my truck back from the body shop. fbi.com takes to god damn long to ship a roll pan

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just curious.....do you HAVE TO get a water trap??? I have my tank mounted under my bed with a port facing down.....and I unscrew that port and drain the tank once every other week. Is this ok to do??? Or do I have to get a water trap? I've been doing this since June.

WILLIE

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
You live in cali, so thats not a problem for you, as long as you drain it often. For people in the colder climates, it becomes necessary.

·
I <3 SPARKS
7,977 Posts
Depends too on what compressor setup you run... If you have an engine driven (IE. York) definately run a water trap. It'll catch the oil and water in the lines.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts