S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its not coolant. Im quite sure its AC related, I just do not know where to start. Any tips??? Thanks for hel in advance

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NO recent rain. I do not believe its drain water. We have not had rain for about a week. On yesterday after driving for 3 hrs, i noticed a pool of water on the passenger side floor board. I had the AC on blast the whole trip, when i shut it off. The water stopped coming.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes i have AC, I suspect thats the culprit. AC still works properly, I guess its not draining right.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
I haven't looked on mine but their has to be a drain for the AC evaporator. All cars with AC need a drain, usually located outside the firewall very close to the evaporator. Seeing as the S10 has the evaporator on the engine side of the firewall, the drain will likely be right on the black plastic housing, probably an open ended rubber tube of sorts.

Most times when the drain gets plugged water will back up into the interior of he vehicle. Dirt and pine needles and crap over the years build up in there.

You COULD dismantle the evaporator housing and clean it out, I did that on my first experience with a plugged drain. 8 hours on my daughters Accord.

Now I take my vacuum pump and stick it up the rubber drain hose and suck the crap out. If that doesn't work, blow a little bit of air into it, just until you hear it go puff, then the blockage is clear, but crap is still in there. Running the AC will create some water and rinse it out. You may have to do it again.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Why do some people assume that all S-10s are the same? Anyway, ...

Some S-10s apparently do have a drain hose on the A/C evaporator housing - the 1998 S10 Blazer does not. As best I can tell, there are molded "slots" in the bottom of the housing. But ...

When I pulled the blower motor controller (no resistor), which is located on the passenger side front of the A/C evap housing, and looked inside, there was a ton of leaves. Since it had not rained for weeks, I just used my shop vac and sucked them all out. There was no drain problem, but still seemed like a good idea.

If you have the resistor instead, not sure what to say, as there will not be an easy way to get inside the evap housing.

The easy way to find your drain hose, assuming there is one, is to visit the dealer parts counter - and have them print a copy of the parts diagram of the motor, evap, and housing. Every part will be shown, including the hose, if there is one. And if there is no hose, then ...

1) check the drains on the vent at the bottom of the windshield (the air intake) - the drains are at the sides of the cowl, at the top of the doors, and there is a hose there on each side of the car, pointing directly at the top door hinge, which is why they rust.

2) look down inside the cowl air intake for leaves - don't park under trees. If its clogged, you will need to pull the wipers and cowl covers, not too difficult but tedious, and the parts are plastic, don't break them.

3) verify that the windshield is not leaking ...

4) possible that the sunroof drains are clogged - DON'T PARK UNDER TREES - not sure just where they are and how they drain, but a known possiblity.

Let us know what you find, as we all like to learn about a new problem - and its solution. And I swear this is my last response to a question without any info about the truck in question :p

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im sorry, thanks for the help. the vehicle is a 2001 GMC Jimmy, 2dr (sunroof). I looked on yesterday and I could not find a drain hose. The black plastic box surrounding the Evaporator has become very dry and brittle my next step will be to remove tha and continue looking. I will check the cowls today, to verify that therer are no leaves.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yeah same thing happened to me and i have no idea why it did earlier.On my 99 s10 i had to remove the padding actually and leave just bare carpet on the passanger side.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I believe you will the drain on the outside of the evaporator box, lower right side just above the frame rail, hard to get to, hard to see, you may have to remove the R/F tire , I replaced the Evaporator box on my 2000 with one from a 98 after some clown hit my truck and it had the drain hose, stubby and short but it was there.

Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mike, are you referring to the lower right toward the engine or toward the fender? Just would like clarification.
Ive checked the windows for debris, and I am in the process of checking the cowl. Will report back thanks for helping me out,

·
Registered
106 Posts
Lower R/S toward the inner fender just above where the frame turns in and down. If you were setting in the passenger seat in the truck it would be to your right.

Mike

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
I believe you will the drain on the outside of the evaporator box, lower right side just above the frame rail, hard to get to, hard to see, you may have to remove the R/F tire , I replaced the Evaporator box on my 2000 with one from a 98 after some clown hit my truck and it had the drain hose, stubby and short but it was there.

Mike
I thought it might be there.

My truck has a metal fender liner that I moved a bit but not enough to see really well. If I had taken the time to remove it I likely would have seen the drain.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts