S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 S-10 Ext cab ZR-2 that is leaking water inside the passenger side foot well near the kick panel. Well, I'm not exactly sure it's leaking there but that is the place where I see it dripping out. I've had it back to the Chevy dealer (3) times and each time they said they thought they had fixed it, but it still leaks the same as before.....I'm pretty frustrated cause I can't make it leak by spraying a hose from every possible angle from the outside of the vehicle either.

It only leaks when it is raining out, and when the vehicle is moving.

Any other ideas that the dealer or myself may not have thought of?

Thanks!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Open your Passenger door and shine a flashlight into the back of the front fender (Where the door hinges). look to see if there are alot of leaves stuck in that area. Sometimes enought leaves will get stuck there and channel the water into the passenger side through the vent area. (Use your radio antenna to dig the leaves out).

Another way that air/water gets into the car is through the cowl
area under the passenger side of the windshield. Check that for leaves.

Get under your truck and see if there if one of the Body Plugs is missing from the Passenger area of the firewall/footwell.

The only other thing I can think of is a leaking heater core.
(I know you said it only does it when it rains, but that may be the only that you use the heater to defrost your windshield.)
That should have been eliminated by the dealer with a pressure test.

·
Nomad II
83 Posts
If you use the defogger when it rains, and the condensation drain hose is plugged up, the water will eventually run into the cab. Check for a little puddle under the right front of the truck with the ac on for a while.

·
bagged1
2,216 Posts
All this leaking shit sucks...

My moms 02 blazer leaks, it's been to the dealer so many times its not even funny and it has not been fixed...

My trucks carpet was damp on the drivers side, don't know if it's a leak or not yet.... :doh:

·
Xtreme Dreams..
1,939 Posts
I have a leaking problem with my truck. Just had to order a hinge kit to fix my drivers door, see if your door hinges are ok. MY truck is a 1999 Reg cab with a sagging drivers door.

·
Got Stones????
609 Posts
the problem is your radio antennae wire....look on the passenger side floor panel area...you will see a black line going through a pretty good size grommet going into the firewall...these grommets do not fit very well at all...if you have passengers there feet will easy pull the grommett out...when your ac is on the evap canister drips water and the water hits the antennae wire and travels straight into the cab...same with the rain...when you drive in the rain the water will splash up into the cab...i have had this prob with 4 s series ranging from 95-01 models...jimmys blazers,sonomas, and s 10's...owned one of each..lol...the easiest fix is to push the grommet in as far as you can and get some clear silicon sealant like in bathrooms around tubs and put a good amount all the way around the gromett...i havent had any leaks since...when the water accumulates under the carpet the engine heat will actually cause it to boil...this causes an ungodly mildew smell throughout the truck at least all mine did...gm put out a notice about this a few years back but i cant remember where i saw it at...hopefully this will clear up your trouble man..let us all know

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the ideas guys.....I'll be trying to find the location of the problem over the Christmas holiday, the company I work for closes for about 2 weeks so I'll have lots of time to try things.

·
Xtreme Gravity Member
830 Posts
You might also want to make sure that what is on your floor is indeed water. You could also have a bad heater core, and it could be leaking through the firewall. Just a thought.... ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was looking around under the dash over the holiday and found that water is coming in from behind a mechanical "Flap" that is way in behind the glovebox. I'm not sure how its getting to that point because I still can't get the water to come in with a garden hose, but my friend and I went for a ride during a rainstorm and he flipped down the glovebox door and with a flashlight could shine it up there and see it coming in through what appears to be some type of gasket inside a plastic box.......I'm not really sure how to access that area with silicone......the entire heater core and AC unit may need to be removed....I don't really know..???

·
Registered
73 Posts
My 97' leaks from the headliner down the passenger side A pillar. Got any ideas where that would be coming from?

·
2003 Xtreme
54 Posts
Source: GM TechLink

Water Leak in Front Floor Carpet Area
Affects 1998-2003 Chevrolet S-10 and
Blazer, 1998-2001 Oldsmobile Bravada,
1998-2003 GMC Sonoma, 1998-2001
GMC Jimmy (US), 1998-2003 GMC
Jimmy (Canada Only), 1998-2001 GMC
Envoy

Some of the above vehicles may have a mildew odor or wet carpet in the front passenger seat area. Here are the most common causes and cures.

- Water backing up at the plenum drain

Too much sealer at the plenum drain area can act as a dam, allowing water to back up in the plenum and either seep around the air box seal or around the lower right air box mounting screw. If a plenum drain has a ridge of sealer higher than 1/4 inch (6.4 mm), use a utility knife to cut the sealer down to 1/4 inch (6.4mm) in height.

- Voids in the plenum seam sealer

Use a mirror to examine the inside of the plenum for possible voids in the seam sealer where water can gain entry to the passenger compartment. Seal any voids using the procedures listed in the service manual.

- HVAC recirculation door being left open

The HVAC recirculation, or air box, door opens upward when the HVAC controls are set to MAX A/C. In extreme conditions, water can pool on top of this door and spill into the vehicle. This door can remain open if the HVAC mode is set to MAX A/C when the ignition key is cycled off. Customers should be informed of this condition and should be advised to turn the HVAC setting to the regular A/C or OFF position before turning the vehicle off.

TIP: Water may still leak into the passenger compartment, even with the recirculation door in the fresh air position. This may occur in extreme conditions (heavy downpours, etc.). Check for a hole above the air box (between the two threaded holes that retain the right front fender) for proper sealing. This hole should be sealed if found not to be sealed properly. To prevent water leaking into the passenger compartment(s), even under heavy downpour conditions, fabricate a small plastic dam, 3/4 inch (19 mm) high x 3 inches (76 mm) long, then glue and seal it to the recirculation register under the recirculation door. This will allow small amounts of water (1/4 inch (6.4mm) to 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) to puddle in the HVAC case without entry into the vehicle.

- Door harness boot

Water that is found in either the driver or passenger floor at the A-pillar may have entered at the door harness boot on the A-pillar side. Make sure the boot harness if fully seated in the A-pillar.

- Plenum/Cowl/Instrument sub panel (windshield tray)

Water may enter at the three piece Plenum/Cowl/Instrument sub panel. This area must be sealed from the inside of the vehicle; the dash assembly must be removed to gain access. This area can be sealed by spraying a clear sealer (KENT brand) in a gallon commercial sprayer, up under the Plenum/Cowl/Instrument sub panel.

IMPORTANT: Please follow these diagnosis processes thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing each step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance. This diagnostic approach was developed for the vehicles listed and should not automatically be used for other vehicles with similar symptoms.

- Thanks to GM Technical Assistance

·
Registered
36 Posts
leak!

i had this same problem once with my 00 s10! the water was coming down the pass side kick panel and pooling onto the floor! still havent figured out where it's coming from yet! but it hasn't did it since! and it happened in a down pour! from the answers i heard here i will go back and check them out!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2003 S-10 that is getting water into my A/C box where the fresh air door opens and closes.I dropped my glove box door down and set my a/c to max so the door would open and sprayed a water hose to the lower corner on the windshield and then looked inside and water is seeping in.I am pretty sure that the water is getting in from the cowl.Any ideas where i need to check and seal up to try to fix this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine was doing that and there was a gutter like device on the passenger side of the vehicle that caught water under the air intake cowl that drained just above the door hinge. the old one was rotten so I just used a sheet of thin pool liner vinyl to replace it and prevent water from running in under the windshield. It has worked for a year so far.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts