S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2000 S-10 Ext cab ZR-2 that is leaking water inside the passenger side foot well near the kick panel. Well, I'm not exactly sure it's leaking there but that is the place where I see it dripping out. I've had it back to the Chevy dealer (3) times and each time they said they thought they had fixed it, but it still leaks the same as before.....I'm pretty frustrated cause I can't make it leak by spraying a hose from every possible angle from the outside of the vehicle either.

It only leaks when it is raining out, and when the vehicle is moving.

Any other ideas that the dealer or myself may not have thought of?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine does it too. I think it may be coming in from that little round grommit on the firewall or maybe it comes in from the antenna hole? I dunno just making guesses here :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Meaning, water could run down the antenna coax. It does enter under the dash around that area. If water were to run down it then maybe???? Just an idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine leaked on both sides. It was under warrantee when it happened, so the dealership repaired the problem (this was in 2000)....and i haven't had any water come in since then. The problem is located behind the plastic wheel well protector. Pull this out and you will see areas on the firewall that could use some caulk / silicone. I don't remember the areas that the mechanic showed me, I recommend hitting them all. My driver's side leak was so bad that they replaced my carpet too. I suppose that's a plus. :) Good luck!

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
ive gotten lots of mud inside my truck before and i noticed that it came in from that plastic strip along the floor in the doorjamb. the long plastic peice thats runs the length of the door just pops-in with little clips into holes in the floor. the mud was coming in through the holes in the floor. havent fixed it yet, but it seems like some silly-cone or caulk should do the trick

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have encountered the same problem... because of the leak, it has corroded my 4X4 transfer case wiring harness and (2) wires have broken off (both orange... just my luck)

·
Registered
1 Posts
probillygun said:
I have a 2000 S-10 Ext cab ZR-2 that is leaking water inside the passenger side foot well near the kick panel. Well, I'm not exactly sure it's leaking there but that is the place where I see it dripping out. I've had it back to the Chevy dealer (3) times and each time they said they thought they had fixed it, but it still leaks the same as before.....I'm pretty frustrated cause I can't make it leak by spraying a hose from every possible angle from the outside of the vehicle either.

It only leaks when it is raining out, and when the vehicle is moving.

Any other ideas that the dealer or myself may not have thought of?

Thanks!
I have a 2000 S10, and found that when it rained the passenger side floor would flood. I just took it to the dealer two days ago. This morning they called to say that the problem is a body seam crack in the back of the cab, and water is flowing under the carpet to the passenger side floor.

So now I get to pay $700+ to repair GM's crap work because the truck is out of warranty. I think this should be covered by some sort of defect coverage by GM, but why would we make them accountable for quality craftsmanship? LOL.

This is not my first GM vehicle (my parents work for GM), but this S10 has given me so many problems that I am considering never buying GM again. :rant:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, the dealer finaly repaired the leak, to bad we still don't know exactly where the water was really coming in from but it does'nt leak anymore.

I had a friend ride with me while we drove around in a rainstorm. We could see at times the water would drip heavily from under the dash unexplicabily really..... :uhoh:

seemed like it had to "Build up" somewhere then as I would make a turn it would DRIP bigtime.

So he pulled down the glovebox door and seen it dripping from the plastic heater core box. I had to mess around with the heater controls to get the plastic flap to open.....then he shined a flashlight up under there, and that was where it was coming from.... the water would "Pool up" inside the box then after it reached a certain point, would spill out and eventualy find its way down to the floor. We still could'nt see how it was getting into the box from under the hood but I took it back to the dealer and they disassembled everything and siliconed everywhere imaginable! Now it is finally fixed, but still really dont know where "Hole" was. They covered mine under my used car warranty. But yes, GM should repair shit like this. Quality is definately their biggest problem.

What a Fiasco! :rant: This is my 3rd S-10, I've had a 95, 98 and now a 00, so I do expect problems, but this was ridiculous.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm dealing with this problem right now and I think I fixed it today. I started by hosing down the truck in different areas of the front of the truck until I noticed where the water was coming from . It started to pool up in the passenger foot well I have removed my glove box and other plastic panels and could reach up to two hoses coming through the fire wall. They were soaking wet and dripping. At this point I had the hose pipe spraying from outside in the engine compartment at the pipes input to the firewall. It seems the foam that the pipes enter the firewall in were dry rotted and absorbing the water , thus leaking inside. I caulked it up and hoping It is fixed. Will test it out tomorrow. I think these pipes are for the heater core and are located on the back firewall in the middle. near the VIN stickers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
FINALY FIXED

Just to help others out I will list the problem areas
Leak where heater core hoses enter the firewall the sealwas dry rotted and allowed water to seep into cab

Drain plug on the passenger side was jammed with leaves and sticks causing water to pool up in the plenum and flood through the air mixer door. I had to take this to the work shop as the whole AC had to be pulled out. which involved removing the inner fender to get access and the computer. The tech got access and removed debris and made the hole bigger. It cost $380 in labour

Small rust hole on the drivers side kick panel area. Water was dripping down the seam near the parking brake. had to remove inner fender and patch small rist hole

Passenger side door seal leaking at butt joint at the bottom of the seal. Trimmed the seal so it leaks outside rather than in the cab and so it seats better on the flange. Also siliconed some questionable parts of the seal.

Leak coming from both bottom parts of the rear window corners. small amount of clear silicone fixed this.

Leak coming from seam seal under rear window/ behind the pull down seats. I dug out the old sealer and re caulked.

Rear vent between the cab and the truck bed the foam seal had deteriated and was leaking into cab. sealed with RTV.

SO far no more leaks. I had to pull the interior out to locate all these leaks.
For those of you now with mildew smell on your carpets from all the water I reccommend getting this spray from the Home Depot its next to all the Damp rid products called "no more mold" or "mold away" just spray it all over the smelly parts of the carpet and it will get rid of the mold smell and prevent further mold from growing. It is odorless and will leave it smelling good.

Hope this helps with this nightmare of a problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts