S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Chevy S10 ZR5
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so having an issue with my 04 s10. When the ac/heat is off I get some air blowing under the driver side floor vent. And sometimes warm air blows out of the defrost vent on the dash with everything off. Can’t seem to figure this out.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Sounds like an actuator, I had a problem when I first got this truck that none of the blower modes would change from floor to defrost or to dash panel they all came out of everything at once.
And it ended up being the actuator that's on the driver side near the gas pedal to the right that somehow was disconnected, some way I got it to work and it still working I think I bent something back and that was it.
But I'm not sure if this is a blend door issue that you're having.

·
I turn.
2,601 Posts
Search the 'Hot feet fix'. You just need to pull one vacuum line behind the glove box.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,334 Posts
Search the 'Hot feet fix'. You just need to pull one vacuum line behind the glove box.
Been a long time since I’ve heard that…forgot all about it.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Mr. Lahey, are you a first responder? If yes, thank you for your service to your community!

If you have air blowing out of defrost and wrong vents, first thing to check is vacuum. More than likely, after 15-20 years of exposure to heat, the rubber vacuum hoses in the engine compartment have disintegrated or are badly leaking. The absence of good vacuum to the HVAC controls in the cab will cause air flow to not be directed properly. As stated earlier, there are actuators which open and close doors in the HVAC system. Unfortunately, these are buried within the system inside the dash and difficult to reach.

Before doing this, my recommendation is to look for and locate the vacuum reservoir in the driver's site fender; then locate, remove, and replace any rubber hoses. For my 2000 Extreme, the hose sizes are 5/32" and 7/32" and are like the same for your 2004. Once you've verified vacuum is getting to the controls, your next course of action will be to target the actuators.

Hopefully, by addressing the vacuum issues first will correct your problem of hot feet! Good luck!

·
Been there Done it
12,455 Posts
As @TranceAmerica said the problem is usually with the vacuum actuator above and to the right of the gas pedal. My 02 CC had the same problem and it turned out that with age the actuator was getting weak and could not over come the strength of the default position spring on the actuator. That spring returns it to the position that provides for both floor and defrost partial air flow when ever there is no vacuum going to the actuator. When either the truck is off or the vacuum is lost for some other reason this position provides some heat and some defrost as a safety factor.
I unhooked that little spring and it has worked fine for years w/o the spring's resistance.
The only possible drawback would be that if I lost vacuum due to a broken hose or something and it was -20° my breathing would eventually make it impossible to drive the truck because condensation would cause the inside of the windshield to ice up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts