S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
6,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 95 with the recessed headlights, I want to do the conversion that replaces these recessed headlights.

I need to know what I need and what kind of costs that I am looking at. Would like to do this really soon, especially before any upcoming meets, as well as replacing my front air dam.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY A "HEADLIGHT RELOCATOR KIT"!!!! I got one for my 88 to use a 94 grill, and they give you new buckets, springs, and headlight adjustment screws. All of the metal parts can be bent in half by a retarded 2 year old. The only thing you need is 1 piece of 1/8" sheetmetal, a drill, and tin snips. Basically what the idea is - to cut the sheet in half (2 pieces) and drill 2 holes for your OLD headlight screws to fit through (this holds it to your core support) then drill 2 new ones wherever you need to put your lights. So each light will essentially use 4 adjuster screws instead of just 2. The sheet metal placement will push the light out about an inch, then wherever the new holes are drilled, is where your headlights will sit. You can use all of your original parts, too. DONT BE SCAMMED OUT OF $70 LIKE I WAS!!!!!!

·
14,970 Posts
Well crap i can't beive I am going to do this but southern I am looking in to the same swap to do to mine. I have seen pics of another red SS with it done and it looks hella sweet.

From what I have found so far you just need the grill and headlights. It shouldn't run you anymore than $250.

Also i have head you can use your stock grill and cut it up but i am kinda leary of doing that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I swapped to a Blazer front end myself. I got the headlights from B&B AutoParts.  # is 1-800-475-1227.  Headlights were $75 a
piece instead of the $220 from dealer. Make sure the get the plugs that go to the headlights as well. You will need 4.  Make sure to get the BLAZER headlights and not the Jimmy ones. They are different sizes.  As for the grill I picked one up off Ebay and had it painted. Hope this helps.

·
Treadwear Waste'n Member
133 Posts
It's really easy to do, I've done it twice and it takes about 30min.

all you need is a Blazer grill and Composite headlights (just order the same year as your truck) then get the corresponding plugs (9005, 9006) from NAPA or your local parts store. total, I was in for about $300 for new parts. Hotwire on SSF, found the parts used for like $160, but they are tough to come by.

then you make 6 splices into the new plugs, and bingo, you have composites! Heres the extent of the wiring. (drivers side)

Heres my SS with the composites. The grill only comes in chrome, I'm painting mine (its not real chrome)

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
i'm about to do the same thing to my ride, just get the grill and headlights form the blazer like they said, the blazer is the same from i think 95-97, and that should fit your s10, but in the end, the **** will look hell a sweet.

·
Registered
287 Posts
not off the top of my head,but most likely someone here will know them, and if not then you can try to get them from a mechanic if you know anyone, they are aftermarket and they are cheap, that or either go to a place where they sell factory made products, do not go to the dealer, but be willing to spend 200-300 on the parts at least

P

·
0 Posts
well hell ima do it to i saw a pic of some chevy with that done and it looked awesome, but i have a question for AnotherSS or anyone else..but for my 98 s-10 will i the turn signals be down in the bumper or under the headlights? i want to get projectors and clear corners and do the composite switch (i guess thats what its called) and put in a sonoma clip with the cay-eye grill witha chevy billet emblem centered after the major stuff is done..call me a trader but it looks tight! :evilg: ..ne ways its still an s-10! Any help would help ALOT!! Thanks!!

-Corey

·
Registered
287 Posts
hey southern you get thte headlights yet? if so let me know about the prices, i've been looking around and seen a lot of variety and i'm still trying to find the best deal, but as for your grill, did you get the chrome one?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts