S-10 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a STRIPPED down blazer with power nothing. Ultimately I would like to have the tailgate POP when I hit a button. Im not sure exactly where the gate pop goes on the 2dr 2000s but Im sure its already wired behind the panel.

My question is, how would i hook up a gate popper. What parts are needed etc. Its VERY annoying to have to turn the truck off, walk around unlock it, then get back in and start it over and over again.

Also, I wouldnt mind having cruise controll also. How do I go about hooking that up?

Thanks
Scott

·
GMtruckHQ
2,894 Posts
everything was simple till you said the cruise control...

·
Read with your eyes -->
171 Posts
the simplest way would be just to put an actuator, and a push button switch that is splice it into the existing harness. You might have to relay, but doubtful b/c if its 'wired' already, the power is there.

when you take the gate apart, what your looking for is what moves when you push the button. then (hopefully w/o too much african engineering) install the actuator so the latch moves the same way. just be sure that whatever it does it can do with the gate locked.
as far as the power, use a volt meter or just a light-up tester to find the wires, though very likely to blow a fuse at some point. or you can try to find the wiring guide.

·
GMtruckHQ
2,894 Posts
dime_blazer said:
... then (hopefully w/o too much african engineering)...
Heehee i guess your using that instead of the more politicaly incorrect term?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, back to my question. Do blazers come WITH actuators? I know mine doesnt becaues its a bottom of the line model, but do other models?

·
Registered
211 Posts
yeah....it was an option on some loaded models.

·
Registered
211 Posts
yeah me too and the people that ride in my blazer....they are like pop the trunk i need to get something out. i'm like, uhhhhh

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have to turn the key on the lower hatch to pop the glass up. Then reach inside and pull the lever if I want the lower one opened.

·
Black & Red
188 Posts
Yeahey. My '96 Jimmy has the power window popper, can open with button on tailgate or button on dash which is located on bottom right blank plate. And the window locks and unlocks with the power door locks. The easiest way, I would think, to add this to yours is to find a Blaz/Jim in a salvageyard to strip... most of the time this is much cheaper and you get to see how it's assembled. Take interior panel off taillgate and you'll see a structural panel held on with about 8-10 screws. Remove those and just take the whole panel with actuator assembly, wiring, levers, and all. I'm not sure but the latch assembly in tailgate could be different because of button on lock cylinder so you might want to take that too. Don't forget to take the dash panel piece with button also. If yours is prewired including plugs, just plug it all in and see if it works. If not, you may need relays and have to run wires.
Now the cruise control I can't help with because I haven't had to mess with any of that on mine yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.