S-10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 s-10 (my first vehicle) Vortec v6 4.3L and i would like some help on what kind of stuff i should put in it i dont want a lowered rice-burner-like truck i just want it to go faster and sound louder thanx for your help

·
dubdS10
1,275 Posts
Well lowering a S10 isn't really rice'n it out at all. They low good and actually are better lower handling wise, as in you go fast around a corner, you better be lower. Or else you might just leave the road for good.

Now the older 4.3 isn't the fastest out there. You want fast, throw a 350 in it, or a new Vortec V6 from '98 and on. That'll give you some jump. Or you can spend a lot of money on this engine and still have it not go as fast as a 350 but you just spent enough to buy a nice one.. For exhaust, you want it LOUD, then go with Flowmaster 40s. Duals out the ass or turn downs just after/before the rearend...that'll be the loudest of all.

Cold Air Intake could be made for it, headers, chip, etc. But it's not cheap. So it's up to you as to what you really want.

Nate

·
Registered
73 Posts
the 4.3 is a good motor. It is capable of all the power you will probably want, for now anyway, you could always swap later. The 4.3 is a 350 v8 with two cyl. chopped off. It responds to anything a 350 responds to. A large part of the parts will work on either, pistons, rockers, etc. It is capable of 300+ hp in N/A form. There are superchargers, turbochargers(Sy/Ty's used 4.3's), chips, cams, intakes all kind of stuff. DO SOME RESEARCH, then come and ask questions. You will get a lot more out of it if you try to understand it on your own. Just keep in mind, it is a SBC minus 2 Cyl. The "general" build up tips of a SBC will work with the 4.3. Of course the heads, cams, and crank aren't interchangeable, but their specs will work the same, taking the the difference in cyl's.

·
BARELY Tuckin' Tire
5,862 Posts
SYKBOY: I just read an article on the 4.3 being built up. to get even 301 hp from a 4.3 you're going to have to spend big bucks bro.
Upwards of 2.5g's if i remember correctly. of course that is all n/a like you said..no bottle and no charger of any kind. so NINJA: to go fast and keep your ass on the road...you need to be close to road.... your signature is pretty strong words in a forum where close to everone is just sitting inches off the ground bro..might want to take a little less antagonistic aproach to the "people that lower their truck are......" thing...but anyway..good luck building your truck man.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That was the build up in sport truck? They didn't even do anything internal did they? I don't remember. I read one a while back and I think that is where it was. If it isn't I would like to read the one you are refering too, if you will let me know where. I am going to build a 4.3 to put in a '78 Triumph Spitfire.:evilg: I have already located an alum. block and heads. This guy is talking about "putting parts in it", I just assumed he was up for whatever but 2.5k would be a really low number for a GOOD V8 swap with 300HP. I know it can be done but it isn't the norm. I don't think he is going to find/build a decent 300HP motor for less than $1-1.5k, then he still has to do the swap. For 2.2k he could be rocking a centrifugal s/c. Then he could do things to add more on top of that. He really needs to go to the sec. gen guys, someone has done a build up. I am sure. Swapping a V8 isn't for everyone. And the fact remains that N/A parts are avail. Mag's don't always do things the best way. I remember GM HiTech did an alero build up and they did a really crappy job.:twiggss:

·
BARELY Tuckin' Tire
5,862 Posts
SKY:

yeah man i happened to have the issure under my couch actually so i grabbed it. they did do ALOT of internal work. so much so that the engine ended up being a 270 cu in engine instead of a 262 cu in. new rockers, pistons (obviously right)...tons of stuff man....this engine gave them 301 hp at like 5500 rpm or something like that...but yeah it was sport truck, sept. 03 issue.
plus..the chick on the front is hot..haha....

·
Registered
73 Posts
:02redxbla Yeah, that's one thing I love about those mag's. The ole lady doesn't say much when it is a truck mag, but if it were a Playboy, WHEEEW! GRAB YOUR HELMET!:p I am going to get ahold of a copy of that article. I wonder if it could be improved or done differently/cheaper. You could probably build it with a turbo for a couple $K more. I would like to see what a reasonable Sy/Ty build up would be. Just a little more stout than stock. I may contact Precision Turbo (http://www.precisionte.com) and see what they think.

·
dubdS10
1,275 Posts
A turbo would have to include, new tranny, rear end, an entire drivetrain basically to make it run and last. So it's more than just a couple G's. ;)

Nate

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree, SlamminChevy. bologna. The 700R4 handles the Sy/Ty, Vette, F-bodies. Unless he is making HUGE power, it will be fine. As for the rearend, there are plenty of V8's rolling around with 7 1/2" rears. Oh, by the way even if this stuff weren't up to par, it would still RUN. Anyway, I was stating a couple of grand more than an n/a build up.

·
dubdS10
1,275 Posts
You really think our Blazer or S10 tranny's are the exact same as the Sy/Tys...HAHAHA!!!!! They are completely built to handle that much power. So say $1-2G just for the tranny and rearend to be built up enough to handle it long term. Yes you can run stock, just don't EVER put your foot into the floor HARD..ease into it.

A Turbo setup is pretty complicated ($$$) if building it from a regular 4.3 It's a lot easier to go buy a 4.3 Turbo engine from a wrecked Sy or Ty. I know people with them and have seen people try to swap. It takes a lot of time and $$$$$. Not as simple as people think if they want it done RIGHT. You can always cheap out but it wont last as long and people wont say.."Oh wow" when the realize you kept the same stock tranny. Same with V8 S10s..you should change the stock tranny and rear, or it might just fail on you. Seen that happen quite a few times while racing.

The main problem is the Engine. A Sy engine costs alot in the first place, so it'd be better building up a 4.3 and throwing a S/C on it along with a 100 shot..but that pricy too. That will most like beat out a Sy any day, but you'll have to do the tranny and rear as well. It's very easy to spend $$$ on good parts so you have to build an engine carefully. I've seen lots of cars with $50,000 plus into the driveline and they are only 12 sec cars. But that's also all engine nothing else and usually includes the suspension being redone to handle it and perform right as well. But it's easy to spend the cash.

You either have it or you don't. Don't go into something thinking you have enough when you don't. You're supposed to over budget when building vehicles..it's common sense that they aren't cheap.. ;)

Nate

·
Custom Sonoma GT Long Box
592 Posts
You think a stock chevy 4.3L in an S10 with a s/c and 100 shot will beat a SY? Ha ha your kidding right? Even if you piled all that in youd still be smoking wheels while the SY/TY would already be on its way home for the day. Even if you got traction I still don't think you'd beat a Sy/Ty.

·
dubdS10
1,275 Posts
I didn't say a stock 4.3 now did I..I said a built up one that can handle it, throwin S/C on it plus a 100 shot. That's easily into the 11-12sec if not faster if done right. A STOCK Sy is sitting somewhere around 13secs. How do they not work??? And suspension would have to be change obviously to work with that amount of power....

If a stock 4.3 was used with a shot AND a S/C it'll blow up probably.

And yes I know Sys' are long gone. Trust me, it's pain in the ass following them at club meets. ;)

Nate

·
Registered
73 Posts
You really think our Blazer or S10 tranny's are the exact same as the Sy/Tys...HAHAHA!!!!!
I never said that. What I said was
The 700R4 handles the Sy/Ty, Vette, F-bodies. Unless he is making HUGE power, it will be fine.
I didn't say it was optimum but it would be sufficient initially. I had an '82 Firebird v6 that I swapped a warm 355 into, pushing a Metric 200(what a slushbox). It wasn't the best but it got me by. There are plenty of F-bodies running around on the same rearend, doing fine. If it is about money, he could do one thing at a time, no shit it is going to be expensive, he made no statement as to the amount of money he was willing to spend.

Building a motor for a s/c and 100 shot would be a perfect motor to turbocharge and a s/c was already suggested. A sy/ty swap wasn't(by me), good luck finding one for a good price and having to rebuild it anyway.

I guess the stock transmission would blow up if it were turbocharged but not supercharged and juiced? I know your smarter than that. I don't think that is what you were saying is it?

$50k for 12's? That's a freaking joke. What are they running, School buses with four bangers?

You either have it or you don't. Don't go into something thinking you have enough when you don't. You're supposed to over budget when building vehicles..it's common sense that they aren't cheap..
Go talk to some 16 year olds who haven't learned that yet.

I do agree that a s/c + 100 shot stock 4.3 would take a stock sy/even more a ty, just as long as it stayed together.(BOOM!)
stock sy - 285(?)

stock 4.3 - 180-195(model/yr?)
+ s/c @ 8psi - 280-300(?)
+ 100 shot - 380-400(?)

A motor built for it would have even more(of course).

Uhhh, yeah.

And as far as traction is concerned, on a good drag strip with some tweaks, it would hook up well enough. They do it all the time.

By the way, it is obvious this dude wasn't even serious. Where is he? Did he go to the 2nd gen, like was mentioned?

·
dubdS10
1,275 Posts
Probably..I know you get it. I just dont' think he did.

Actually the car is a '69 GTO which has more thasn $100,000 into it. The guy has redone the entire car from the bottom of the 19/20 combo to the top of the roof. He's running this on 20s in the rear you must know. And 12s was not with his foot all the way into it. My uncle builds engines for a living and just recently finished an Alky engine..they are DAMN $$$$$ expensive. And then it rained out on test day..bloody weather.

The stock tranny will blow up with anything more than a mild 350. I've seen it blow and peices fly out quite a few times with built 350s and I've never know anybody to actually keep the stock tranny for longer than a few months while a 'built' tranny was being completed. The rearend CAN withstand some punishment, but that always depends on who/how they are driven.

It's just a lot of people forget about the tranny and rear, and think it's all engine that motivates the vehicle. The entire driveline working together and meshing is what gets you good times on the track and keeps you from breaking down every pass.

Anybody know somebody looking for a '64 GTO all steel still, 10.2 for a 1/4mile..hehehe My uncle's selling has other projects to do...

Nate

·
Black/Green Billet Sheen.
1,063 Posts
about the 700R4 thing.....If you beef it up a bit....a 700R4 can handle quite a bit of power. it is a VERY nice tranny for daily driving. I have a v8 in mine with a 700r4. I mean......I am not running crazy power, but I have seen 700R4s run decent powered setups with no problem for a LONG time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
MMM. GTOOOOO. Sounds good. One is a show stopper and the other a 1/4 stomper! :)

I am in the process of building a '78 spitfire with 300+hp as a goal. Trust me, I know all to well the drivetrain is just as important. You will get no arguement from me on that one. I agree that some people think if it bolts up all is well. Riiiight. If it was a serious build up, it would not be an afterthought but another cog in the machine/process that must be dealt with.

You know, the new GMPP 4L65E would be sweet. Not the cheapest way to go but it is geared for a car instead of a truck.

toolman: What kind of times are you running with that 305? I am assuming it is pretty mild from what you say. I am thinking of doing a mild swap myself.

Peace

sYk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts