S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a wall of 10's or 12's in an ext. cab? I think I am about to start on this project and I am not sure if I wanna go with 10's or 12's yet. I have 3 12's firing down right now, but I wanna see how this setup would sound.

Cory

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I havn't done it yet but i plan on doing a half wall of 6 10" subs this summer when i get the money together. A local car audio place has an xtreme with a wall of 12 12" subs in the extended cab, and the entire bed is the amp rack, 4 battery's, 6 caps, and 6 amps, pushing those 12 12" RF hx2's (i believe thats what they were). Just beware, it's gonna take a long time to build everything and wire it right, the guy at the shop said he had 15,000 dollars in labor into the truck, no that is not a typo. So it will get expensive but it looks bad ass when it is done right, and it sounds great.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I am not worried about the money or time. I get all stuff at wholesale and i do my own work with the help of my partner. Are you planning on sitting the first 3 10's on the ground or elevated up a little. I was leaning towards 9 12's but I don't know yet. I also don't know were I am going to put my amps yet. I might just do 6 12's. Do you think 6 12's firing out will sound better than 3 firing down at the floor like I have now?

Cory

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I am planning on sitting them up about 5 inches off the ground and then like another 3 inches up from the top of the sub for the other row of 3. I think 6 12's firing out would sound better the the 3 firing down. If the amps are problem get a fiberglass tonneau and run the amps from the bed to the cab. If that isn't an option, 9 12's wouldn't fill up the back completely so you could make the last 10-12 inches at the top the amp mounting area and conceal them and put some mini fans from like a computer on the sides to keep air flowing through the amp's enclosed area up top.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the reply's. This is just something I guess I still have some thinking to do about.

Cory

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
yeah i've been working on drawing up my box for about 3 weeks now and i still have lots of work to do before i start building it, i plan on it taking like 2 weeks to build the box and wire it and carpet it, then fitting it in my back compartment(working evenings on it). I'll keep you posted, but it will be a while till anything i do is started.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will probably start on building my box. I think I will try 6 12's to start with. If I don't think it is enough I will add more. It will take me a couple of weeks also b/c I have to make sure every thing is right and I want to build a false floor to get that hump out of the way. Keep me posted on how it goes. If you have msn messenger or aol IM I am on there most of the time.

MSN [email protected]
Aol Civicman1869

Cory

·
Got Stones????
609 Posts
Hey man i used to have a wall in my ext cab Noma. I had 6 Kicker VR comp 12's all wired off a single earthquake phd2 (shredder amp) which was 2000 watts at 2 ohms. The 6 12's were facing the windshield and hit a 151.3 was my max SPL. The box was 8 cu ft total. My next setup consisted of a single sub. Which was the kicker L7 15 dual 4ohm sub. I had it in a 6.0 cu ft ported box tuned to 45 htz. That one sub off the same earthquake amp 2000 watts got me so many trophies that my shelf is full from this past summer. People were amazed that the single sub was posting SPL numbers from 150-152.8 on good days. So it really doesnt matter how many subs you have it is a rule of thumb that the less number of drivers the less cancelization you will have. And also go ported with the box, you will not be disappointed. And remember the amp and wattage is just as critical as the subs. The more power the better. Good luck!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate the pic db machine. So the box was facing the back windsheild? or the facing the seat towards the front. I want them facing the front. I was leaning towards using ports so thanks for the advise on that one. Do you still have the 1 15 in you noma now or did you already go with something else. That is very impressive to hit 150+ with 1 15. Right now I am using Visonik 12's that are rated at 800 watts, but not RMS. I am happy with the bass out of them so I will probably go with the Visonik competition series.

Cory

·
Got Stones????
609 Posts
i had them facing towards the front windshield..right now I have a MTX Blue Thunder 5X400 5 channel amp powering my mids and highs and the fifth class D subwoofer channel is powering 3 MTX 6000 10 inch woofers in a down firing box design. Im more into sound quality now because i have a dvd player and ceiling mounted monitor in my Noma. The surround sound is spectacular especially on Dolby DTS decoded DVD movies. The 3 tens are just enough for the rearend rumble for the explosions. I cant ait for the Fatsand Furious to come out on January 2,2002. Let me know if you have anymore questions. I have MSN messenger and my user name is [email protected]

·
Registered
35 Posts
i plan on buying an x within the next 10 days and i'm putting a stereo in it right away, can someone tell me how much airspace is there in the extended cab part - behind the doorjams - ...i'm going to need at least 18cf

·
Got Stones????
609 Posts
Sorry dude the only way you will get 18 cu ft is to do a cut through or a walk through. Ablout 10 cu ft is all you can get from the floor to the ceiling.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts