S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sheet Metal Master
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever done a walk through? Is this something to be done yourself or is it a major fabrication/body shop type job? I want to do it so bad but don't know where to start besides going out and buying a cap for the bed. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...... :confused:

·
Still 2 High
7,539 Posts
i think it would be easy

I'm going to do a walkthrough on my s10. And from what i've seen, all you should have to do is cut out the front of the bed, and the back of the cab. Right wear those pieces of sheet metal are welded in place. And buy some kind of a sock, and re-apohlster it... But i'm not 100% sure.

·
proud stepsider
519 Posts
if you do it yourself, cut the bed wall out FIRST..that'll give you a clear place to cut into the cab wall. The cab floor dips lower than the bed floor, so if you cut the cab wall first, you'll never get the holes lined up right.

·
Sheet Metal Master
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good lookin' man, thanks for the heads up. I probably would have done it that way, just not for the same reason. Do most people leave the bed on the truck or take it off to operate???

·
proud stepsider
519 Posts
I've seen two people do this to their first gen s-10s, and helped on one....only one guy pulled the bed, and his was the best looking one. All he did was pull the bed, then cut the front bed wall out at the seams where it meets the sides, replace the bed( but not bolt it down), mark off on the cab wall where it had to be cut, remove the bed again, and cut out the cab wall. He even used the cut out remains to make a patch to connect the bedfloor to the cab floor.

a little bodywork, one of those connecting "boots" to seal it up, a trim ring for the cab, and he was done

·
Sheet Metal Master
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did he reinforce the cab? I thought you had to? I'm planning on reinforcing everywhere I can. I don't need stuff shifting and cracking...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts