S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody try one of these before? does it do anything or is it all hype. im thinkin about one cuz i cant use a throttle body spacer.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I feel your pain on the one piece TB/intake piece. If you really wanted to convert over to a 2 piece uinit, so you could run a throttlebody spacer as well, you should check out www.mantapart.com If you go to "parts" and then down to "performance parts" and then pick the first motor on the list, which is the 2.2 they have some stuff for our engines that you might be interested in. It is a bit more than $60 but i think it would be more effective than those vortex things

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
I had a long talk to my brother-in-law who's a Phd at Exxon and does fluid flow dynamics for them on this very subject. Absolutely nothing that's installed before the throttle body other than a less restrictive filter, blower, turbo other the like will do anything for you. We've yet to finish work on it, but we even have doubts about whether an aftermarket intake pipe really does all that much. Mostly it's the filter and colder air for those kits that have the plate that separates the filter from the engine bay. But I digress.

Anyway, a throttle body spacer lenghtens the intake tract which has an effect on your power range. But don't spend extra on one of those with the "helix." That's a crock too. Only a very small fraction of the air moving through the throttle body will hit that area and mostly only during WOT. The intake design itself where you have the split into the separate intake tracts creates a vortex that would cancel out any created earlier in the intake.

Ok, the soapbox is free. Next....

·
Registered
52 Posts
My dad put on of them tordanos in his full size gmc and it did absolutly nothing. I wouldnt but one.

·
Registered
211 Posts
OK, my $.02... Take a look at your TB... notice how it turns... even if the air spins before it gets to the TB the way that the TB is designed it will counter the spinning. Please let me know if you understand or not.

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i kind of understand, but i have decided against it now anyway after all of these posts...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.