S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK i have a `94 lowrider with the Vortec CPI that i had part for the winter to do body work on it.

I would start it ever week just to keep fresh oil in the engine so i wouldn't get the dry grind of a engine that has sat for a long time "eww", but anyways. It started to get a miss and not want to start so i gave up on it for the winter and started to get worried about it...so i started calling around.... Thinking it was a small problem ( like the fuel pump or plugs) I learned something worst!!! Vortec's have a problems where the fuel can drain down into the oil pan and i was told to check it out first. so i did..and guess what.. with my luck...there was fuel in the oil... NOT GOOD!!

The engine doesn't seem to be damaged...but who knows...it turns over smooth...just wondering if anyone out there had went through this before...and kinda help me out..

Thanks!!! yeah i'm new at forums but been into custom s-10 for years!!! on my second one!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Fuel doesn't just drain down into the oil pan unless you have other problems. The only way it can get down there is to leak past the piston rings. If your engine isn't running and the CPI unit regulator isn't leaking or a poppet valve isn't stuck open the fuel will stay in the fuel lines. You need to check your fuel system for leaks of some sort. Start with the CPI unit regulator and poppet valves first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know its not the piston rings its the problem with the injection system...

I have talked to someone about it. And they acted like it was a common thing that happened just to the vortec... i don't know if it is...i don't really like it if it is... GAS in the oil

All i'm wonder is anyone out there ever had this to happen..just let me know so i know what i'm getting in to... and if i'm not getting ripped on the bill later on...

·
Registered
132 Posts
The OEM CPI unit...

had a poorly designed regulator which almost always develops a leak as your mileage increases. I replaced mine at 147,000 miles with AC Delcos newest improved version P/N 17113673. Pull your upper manifold and look for a clean gas washed area at the CPI unit which is mounted in the center. Turn your key to "ON" not start to pressurize the fuel system and look for leaks at the nylon inlet and return tubes also. If your unit is leaking you can get the improved CPI unit for $265 from Dal Sabaugh, parts manager at
Van Devere Olds 1-800-362-9494. Do the work yourself, if you go to a dealer they will charge around $500 for the unit and a few hundred more for labor. If you do it be sure to pull your EGR off and clean it also.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yeah but GM parts direct...

will rape you with the shipping/handling charges bringing the price up to within about $5 of Dal's price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts