S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
First, I want to say this is a great forum. Now, on to my problem. I just bought a 98 S-10 ZR2 about 2 weeks ago. Until today the world was good. Today when I went to lunch the truck seemed to hesitate while getting on the highway. Then as I was turning into the gas station it died as if it were out of fuel. I got it started again but it died 3 times before I made it to the pump. I got out while it was still idling and could hear the pump kinda sucking air. I could only get 13 gallons in an 18 gallon tank so it wasn't out of fuel. Cranked it up and drove back to work no problems. When I left work to go home I got off the highway (about 10 miles) it started idling real rough but runs fine above an idle. I pulled the egr valve and cleaned it but that didn't help. Could it be something in the fuel pump? It only has 42K. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Shane

·
SoCal Mini-Trucker n FL
230 Posts
Stalling?

Well, there are many things it could be. But since you said it stalled like it was running out of fuel, we can start there. I had the same prob with mine, and here's what we did. We replaced the main fuel filter, thats located between the fuel tank and the engine. On my Jimmy, it's located under the drivers side, just under the rocker panels. If I remember right, it was about 28-30.00. Thats the first thing I'd check, since it sounds like it's not getting enough fuel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm doing the filter thing tommorow. Just seems to me that a clogged fuel filter would cause more of a problem at full throttle. It does stumble a little off idle but once you get it going it's fine. And it all of a sudden started doing this at 1/4 tank.

Shane

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Xtreme Jimmy, I replaced the fuel filter tonight. I could hardly blow through the old one so I cut it open to find alot of dirt and quite a bit of water. Any suggestions on getting the water out of the tank? Thanks again.

Shane

·
SoCal Mini-Trucker n FL
230 Posts
Good deal, thats cool. Atleast it was an easy/cheap fix. The best way to clean out your gas tank is to get some gas cleaner/addative at a Auto parts store. Just get something good, not cheap. That will be good enough to clean out the water and dirt thats in there.

K

·
0 Posts
Yea XJimmy is right...don't buy any cheap stuff...buy the name brand...but you actually never really get the water out of the
tank..unless...you completly drain the fuel/water out and start off fresh...which is...what i would do in your case to be sure..i got it all...b/c i would not wanna go through the same thing.......there really should not be any DIRT per say in your tank unless it is rusting from the inside out......since yo say you have a lot of dirt and all...i would take and in about 10,000 miles change it again..witha new one...that way...it iwll be a little bit more filtered out and all..but. i am glad you got off cheap
good luck
Kenny

1 - 6 of 6 Posts