S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
ask me about my crabs
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4.3 TBI pulled out of a wrecked s-10, i was looking to boost performance a little before i dropped it in my blazer. I had thought it was a vortec since it said vortec on the valve covers, then some said just cause it has that doesn't mean its a vortec and my grandpa wasn't sure that vortecs came in TBI, he thought they were all CPI, so i was just looking for a little definitive answer on how to tell whether it is a vortec or just a regular v6.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
anything after.....1988? i think is definitely a vortec. everything after 1995, including earlier-model CPI's, are Vortecs.

·
zippy
733 Posts
i know the h.o. v6 was a vortec when it first came out and i believe all the 4.3's went under the vortec name in 94. at that point vortec didn't have anything to do with it's output, but simply like a brand name.

·
12,507 Posts
vortec is actually the design of the heads...there's a thread on here recently that went in depth on heads and all that good stuff. as i understand it, 4.3L engines were Vortecs after 1988, when GM decided to begin calling them Vortecs, to have a selling point.

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
Having the engine on a stand makes it alot nicer to do Pullies, Rocker arms, headers, cam...how much do you want to do?

·
ask me about my crabs
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not ready to do internals right now, i am mainly looking to do a new intake and valve cover stuff. I will do a cam down the road, and a new ignition is on the way, well im looking into it.

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
I understand... it just seems like to put a cam in later is alot harder!

·
ask me about my crabs
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i know its harder, but I have done them with the engines in the vehicle and on my nova it took me about three hours. But i am just looking to put some stuff on the top of the motor thats not too hard to do but bolting up to those damn heads is what i'm worried about.

·
Registered
619 Posts
what year TBI 4.3 is the motor out of and what year is your truck... chances are the heads on both motors are the same, however the newer motor might have LB35 heads which are supposed to be better... dunno, they are ALMOST identical to the older heads.

If the intake on the newer motor has only 8 bolts, then they are even newer heads and your older intake wont bolt up to it.. however the new motor is tbi also and you could use that intake with your FI from what i understand w/o any troubles

·
12,507 Posts
the new motor would only have the LB35 heads if it was CPI, correct? and CPI went out in 1995.

·
ask me about my crabs
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the 4.3 going in is from a 92-95, not sure sepcifically, the casting numbers on the block just return that range. Its going into an 86, so its replacing a 2.8 which i have already dumped on some unsuspecting chump. the intake is like that of a small block just smaller so it has a lot of bolts, not sure how many specifically, i think like 6-8 a side, but i can't remeber, the motor is in phoenix and i am in flagstaff til next week.

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
its not a true vortec then. true vortecs are mpi(multiport)they come from 95-on i believe. before 95 they are almost the same as the ones today just not quite as efficient.

·
ask me about my crabs
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well what i am trying to figure out is if i can buy center bolt valve covers and such that are "non-vortec" and stuff along those lines, I know pure and simply it isn't a pure vortec just.

·
12,507 Posts
dammit, engines before 1995 had Vortec heads. there are millions of threads about that, just do a search and check. just call the chevy garage and ask them for a price for a 199? engine, TBI or CPI, and they can get you the stock valve covers. ive never seen any aftermarket ones for center bolt valve covers.

·
Registered
619 Posts
this isn't directed to waxy buildup....... I get sick of this whole stupid vortec BS. too many people have different ideas of vortec...... vortec is a head design that gm started in the mid 80s and didn't market until the CPI engines around 92.. It doesn't freaking matter what year it is... if its a 4.3 86 and newer its vortech..... now.... like anything there are improvements over the years.. YES THE NEWEST MODEL HEAD IS THE BEST.... common sense would tell you that. The mid 80s heads were decent but nothing spectacular..... then the lb35s came out on CPI..... i dont know if they put them on the tbis but there were a slight modification of the older heads..... no major changes. Then they changed the intake bolt style..... thats what most of you say are true vortecs...... which is bs, but whatever.. it doesn't matter to me... so from then on, they improved them...... and like i said, the newer they are the better.

waxy.....as for the valve covers..... if they are center bolt, they should bolt up.....especially if they are off heads with the same intake bolt pattern, which it sounds like it is... the major change to these motors over the years were the heads and intake but most of everything was left the same. so my point is.... if you buy valve covers for a 86-95 motor, they will bolt up.....regardless of vortec and non vortec..... any newer and im not sure but i bet they stayed the same for longer...

·
12,507 Posts
thank you. we need to make a sticky on heads and such, to avoid these "discussions".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts