S-10 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright well after having some disappointing numbers on the dyno, and now I think I just blew a head gasket want to do some work on the heads while I have them off to change the head gaskets. Are there any aftermarket options that we have as far as like performance heads? What should I do with my heads to get the best out of them for my particular turbo set up? How much should I expect to pay in either option. Any other ideas or options are welcomed as I am still trying to learn. Thanks

·
WICKED 6 RACING
2,189 Posts
If you have Vortec you can port and polish and work them over. Doing it yourself if your careful what ever the kit cost. Professionally about a grand.
No direct aftermarket heads for anything newer then a 95. 95 and Earlier you have Brodix aluminum which will cost 2g and more. Bare casting is 1600 and when they say bare they mean it. I have almost 4g in mine. One of the best options you can do is get good head gaskets. Either SCE Titan or Cometic MLS for the Vortec or if you spent the money on aluminum the SCE Titan. And my own person option if your gonna boost it ARP studs or minimum bolts. Aluminum heads studs only. This will keep you from blowing gaskets because there junk or the bolts let the heads raise.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have Vortec you can port and polish and work them over. Doing it yourself if your careful what ever the kit cost. Professionally about a grand.
No direct aftermarket heads for anything newer then a 95. 95 and Earlier you have Brodix aluminum which will cost 2g and more. Bare casting is 1600 and when they say bare they mean it. I have almost 4g in mine. One of the best options you can do is get good head gaskets. Either SCE Titan or Cometic MLS for the Vortec or if you spent the money on aluminum the SCE Titan. And my own person option if your gonna boost it ARP studs or minimum bolts. Aluminum heads studs only. This will keep you from blowing gaskets because there junk or the bolts let the heads raise.
Seriously? A grand for port/polish and what does the typical port/polish include, would that include bowl blending or any type of valve work?

·
WICKED 6 RACING
2,189 Posts
Thats them stripping the head down to bare with the intake you plan to run. And they will flow-bench and hog the heads to the point of no return. And match the intake to the heads. By the time there done you will no longer be able to cut anymore material out of the head except to change like guides. Buddy last year payed 1600 to have his heads and intake done on his Camaro 7.5 index car. And thats not 1/8 mile. Hell Brodix told me they sell me bare ones ported out at 3000. Big jump for 1600 bare then they have to be filled and set and checked for flatness.
Typical what most people do is gasket match the intake runners, bowl blend, and smooth the rough turns and corners as best as possible while trying to keep everything even. Some shops will do this and you can while being careful to keep everything even. That why I said professional is a grand were they have a a couple of weeks into the heads.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The cheapest option would be to have them milled down a hair to raise compression, do a mild pocket porting job on them at home, and get them cleaned up afterwards.

If all you're doing is mild porting, don't sweat getting them flowed. What I mean by this is just removing the casting flash from the ports and smoothing them out. If you're removing more than that then of course you'll want to get them flowed to ensure uniformity.

·
i need a paint job
3,680 Posts
from my experience with the vortec heads i would keep the runners stock..
the heads i have now have some bowl work done, stock sized valves that are undercut and thats it.
the first set of heads i did i took to much out of the runners and killed low end torque but raised the redline to 5300.. with a stock cam.
do some searches on google on porting and polishing vortec heads, there kinda easy to mess up from what i read.

·
S-series abuser
694 Posts
from my experience with the vortec heads i would keep the runners stock..
the heads i have now have some bowl work done, stock sized valves that are undercut and thats it.
the first set of heads i did i took to much out of the runners and killed low end torque but raised the redline to 5300.. with a stock cam.
do some searches on google on porting and polishing vortec heads, there kinda easy to mess up from what i read.
I dont have any experience porting the vortecs but what ive read throughout the years is very similar. Not alot to be gained with porting vortec heads. Most say the exhaust side is where you will see the biggest improvements if done right.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
I dont have any experience porting the vortecs but what ive read throughout the years is very similar. Not alot to be gained with porting vortec heads. Most say the exhaust side is where you will see the biggest improvements if done right.

I bought a ported set with 2.02 valves for $550 on ebay. Geoff where are you located, I have my set that was ported for my turbo setup. Exhaust ports were ported and intake was left stock for a faster spool. I would sell them if you were interested

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fort Myers, FL 33912 go ahead and PM me what you would want for them, I am still not too sure what my plans are with this thing yet. Include any specs of exactly what are done to the heads as well if you could. How has your re-build been coming along? I haven't seen you on here in a while.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is the largest size valves that can fit into the heads without having bigger seats and other major machining work done. I see on syty's site or rpm that they have 2.05 int and 1.6 exh valves that are stainless will those work with these heads?

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
What is the largest size valves that can fit into the heads without having bigger seats and other major machining work done. I see on syty's site or rpm that they have 2.05 int and 1.6 exh valves that are stainless will those work with these heads?

Build has been slow, just bought a 2114 complete for $850 used and the motor is 4k so its gonna be awhile lol.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah, are you buying the motor through Race Proven Motors, they seem to have some good quality builds with their stuff and does your motor you are getting already have heads? PM me with the info on your heads

1 - 12 of 12 Posts