S-10 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a 94 tbi and i want to do some work on it this winter over break. Right now im trying to decide between two options. First is putting on an edelbrock 3713 intake manifold and being done with it. I feel pretty confident i can do this in a couple days in my garage without breaking anything. My other option is to get a set of vortec heads and run them with an edelbrock 2114 manifold and tbi adaptor. I know going the second route will make a lot more power for about the same price and better support future mods. What i need to know is how much harder/ more likely to screw something up it will be if i decide to try to tackle swapping the heads. My mechanical experience includes taking the dash apart about 10 times and replacing the bumper. Also, will my 94 valve covers and exhaust manifolds fit the vortec heads or would i have to replace those as well?

·
Registered
18 Posts
By saying "vortec heads" I assume you mean 96 and later...I am not 100 % postive but I am pretty sure the heads will not bolt up and the valve pan covers are different too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By saying "vortec heads" I assume you mean 96 and later...I am not 100 % postive but I am pretty sure the heads will not bolt up and the valve pan covers are different too.
Ive done plenty of research on here and i know that the 96+ heads will bolt up, i just want to know about the difficulty of installing them

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
doing a head swap IMO is not hard. its just time consuming. I say that, but I am a tech by trade and have been working on cars since I was 13.

If you have the basic knowledge of how an engine works and have confidence that u can do it than go for it.

second question you need to ask is how healthy is your engine. If you have a high mileage or a severly beaten motor doing a swap will put more strain on the bottom end and it wont last very long b4 the bottom end turns loose. this is just something to think about

·
i need a paint job
3,680 Posts
took my time doing the heads, cam and marine intake on my 97 in a week between work and a girlfriend.

manifolds will bolt up and your 94 valve covers will work.

vortec heads bolt on the older blocks just fine, be sure to replace head bolts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright thanks for your help guys. The motor has 47k on it so my guess is that its pretty healthy. As long as there isnt any extreme danger of messing something up and killing my motor i am going to go ahead and do the head swap.
So i need to get new head bolts, is there anything else i have to replace like pushrods, lifters, or any other valvetrain kind of stuff?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, i know i need new gaskets for the heads and intake, and ive been looking but cant seem to find anything that looks right. Does anybody have p/n s for the gaskets i will need? Will i need gaskets for the tbi and adaptor?

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Not trying to hijack or anything, but does anyone know what is required to do to get pre-vortec covers to fit vortec heads (or vice versa)? Or do they just bolt right on?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
s106banger; said:
took my time doing the heads, cam and marine intake on my 97 in a week between work and a girlfriend.

manifolds will bolt up and your 94 valve covers will work.

vortec heads bolt on the older blocks just fine, be sure to replace head bolts.
yes, pre vortec (94) valve covers will bolt on to vortec heads

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
just get a fel-pro engine gasket kit. it will incldeu all gaskets plus some you need for the swap. it will be cheaper than buying gaskets seperatly. the TBi adaptor should come with the necessary gaskets for the install.

yes you will need new headbolts. they are torque to yield.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok im looking through summit and ARP has like 10 different head bolt kits... I also found an unknown brand kit on ebay for $40 from a 100% feedback seller with little to no fitment info... Which ones do i need? Buget is a priority but so is not blowing up my motor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Just got to thinking... How important is it going to be to get a tune for all this work im doing? The 3713 comes with a chip but the 2114 obviously doesnt since it is meant for using a carb. Is adding the the way better heads and the manifold going to make a tune absolutely necessary? Even if i could run it fpr a couple months to save up some money and then get a tune that would make things a lot easier for me.

Also adding to my bolt confusion, i found a fel pro head bolt kit on autozone for $10/head... Which stupid bolts do i need!?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
You need the bolt kit for the 96+ since those are the heads you're using. And yes, the substantially better flow of the heads and intake are going to necessitate a tune, but not necissarily right away. It will likely run, though not particularly well, especially not in open loop mode.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts