S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since I got scolded by the page Admin. Here is one to make the admins happy a NEW THREAD!!! Okay, off my soapbox now!!!

I have a 97 Vortec 350, I plan to put into my 03 Sonoma with a 2.2, The ecm in the truck is a 12202203 not the 12200411 that is sought after. So first of many questions to come. Is the 12202203 programmable to accept the 5.7 vortec motor or will I have to source an Express or a 0411 in another vehicle?

The original write up was super informative, and I have a wealth of knowledge from the original post. I even saved the docs with the harness pin locations and wire to pin position.

Do I also need to pull the entire harness and find a 5.7 harness or can I convert the 2.2 harness to work? Mycurrent harness is the blue green, I have messed with wiring harnesses and making one work with another application an 87 firebird harness into an 85 camaro, took me about a week with work and family.

Any tips suggestions/ideas on the questions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Been there Done it
8,191 Posts
Don't know if the 2203 will take a V8 program. Do know the 0411 will. As you mentioned, if you can find one from an Express you not only have the PCM, but you also have the program. (If it came directly out of the van. Code DFNN,DPNX,DMNP ) Pic and pulls don't get too much for them.
Since you've done it before I'm sure you can make the 2.2 harness work if you have the pinouts. A 4.3 S10 2003 harness would be a lot less work. Again pic and pulls don't ask a lot for the engine harness. You just unbolt it from the fuse box, or better yet take the underhood fuse box with it and just unplug the body wiring from it.
The admin you admonished knows of a good source for pre programmed PCM's. He's bought a couple.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The 0411 ecm came in almost every GM 2001-2003. Pickups and Camaros are easiest to come by. I've bought several in 35-50 dollar range. I've bought some from ebay in 60 dollar range. Then all that's needed is to get someone to flash the express def file into it. I've done several 0411 conversions, but not to s10 yet, but am getting ready to do my 03 zq8 extended cab 2.2. I already have a good working flash, and would flash one for you if you send me ecm and return postage. Let me know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 0411 ecm came in almost every GM 2001-2003. Pickups and Camaros are easiest to come by. I've bought several in 35-50 dollar range. I've bought some from ebay in 60 dollar range. Then all that's needed is to get someone to flash the express def file into it. I've done several 0411 conversions, but not to s10 yet, but am getting ready to do my 03 zq8 extended cab 2.2. I already have a good working flash, and would flash one for you if you send me ecm and return postage. Let me know.
I'll keep you in mind when I start to pull the ECM, I am thinking about finding an Express van with a 5.7 or even a 97, 98 Suburban since .y 5.7 was pulled from a 97 K1500 suburban. I haven't been able to get anything started since we moved into our new house the garage is full of crap...

·
Registered
74 Posts
You can make almost any late 350 work by installing 4 puck wheel behind crank timing gear, and use vortec plastic timing cover. You'll need to trim bottom timing gear by same thickness as the 4 puck gear.. Basicallty, use stock timing chain. Use all sensors from the 96-2000 vortec pickup truck or from express van 2000-2002. Now, you have a vortec engine, mostly.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That just makes any old sbc able to work with some more tweeks. You really need engine from 2001-2002 express or savannah, 1996-2000 350 Vortec sbc. Ramjet 350 works great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can make almost any late 350 work by installing 4 puck wheel behind crank timing gear, and use vortec plastic timing cover. You'll need to trim bottom timing gear by same thickness as the 4 puck gear.. Basicallty, use stock timing chain. Use all sensors from the 96-2000 vortec pickup truck or from express van 2000-2002. Now, you have a vortec engine, mostly.
Still haven't had any time to dig into this project, haven't really had time to much of anything since I moved. I'm hoping after the holidays I will make some time to finally get the ball rolling on this project. What is the 4 puck behind the timing gear do? I was able to acquire a 97 vortex 350 roller, still need to break it down, and get it to a machine shop and have it gone through. I intend to convert to full roller, a hotter cam, and toying with the idea of a 383 stroker. But that's still a ways away. New job has me working so much I barely have time for my family.

·
Been there Done it
8,191 Posts
I just did a Vortec 350 stroker. Not impressed with the return on investment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts