S-10 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know this has been an ongoing problem for me.....but I have a new theory. And I was wanting some feedback on its effectiveness before I tried it. I haven't really ever gotten any straight answers before, but I have a theory that makes sense to me....just need some confirmation.

I never thought of it before, but my truck has a hypertech chip in it, and I have a programmer with it. I had an MSD box in the truck, didn't have any voltage problems....now, after we took it out, a week or two later I noticed I was having voltage problems where the truck would just bog and everything would dim out at idle and the voltage reader would just drop down to like 10 volts. but when I gave it gas, everything would pep back up again. But, I have read there is a spark advance option on the programmer to adjust. I've never used to programmer before so I dunno....the previous owner set everything, but we took the box out, and never messed with the chip any. So I'm wondering if the Spark advance was set to show that I have an MSD box in there, but since I don;t, it's not pulling as much power from my components as it needs to, so it bogs like that. I've had my battery and alternator ran, which are both brand new, and they're only pulling/pushing out around half of what they should be. Does this Theory sound true that I might just need to go in on the programmer and just reset the spark advance? All help would be greatly appreciated...!!! Thank you!!!

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts
This could be your whistle. Mine was making a farly loud whine. I cleaned the positive terminal of the battery and it went away.

Mine still does have a whistle when i pump the accelerator, but it is a different pitch from the other one.

The msd box doesn't really set the timing, it just amplifies it. Sounds like a charging issue.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright, what would I need to check then? I've tried eevrything I can think of it seems like....and my battery posts and wires and everything are corrosion free

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts
You said the alternator is only putting out half of what it is suposed to? I would fix that first, and see where that gets you.

It doesn't have underdrive pulleys on it does it? Is it pluged in, i don't remember what the plug does, but i would assume it affects the votlage somehow.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dunno how to fix the output of the alternator....the whole system is F'd up...it's wierd....but yeah, I have underdrive pulleys on it, but those aren't supposed to affect the output any....and yeah, the alternator is plugged in

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts
What kind of underdrive pulleys are they? Did they come with a smaller than stock alternator pulley? If they didn't, then this is your problem i'd be willing to bet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah my alternator pulley is smaller....I was thinkin that, but confirmed that that pulley was smaller than the factory pulley, so that's not it. good idea though :) Any more?

·
Dropped Dime
136 Posts
yeah even though you said its a new altenator, its possible to get a bad one, and if the new altenator was checked and is only putting out half what it is supposed to be take it back and tell them they sold you a shit altenator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts