S-10 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I had both of the door speakers stock working replaced with the new deck and all new speakers but a couple months later both of them quit working only the doors,I tested for power but I'm getting nothing but I think I need to do continuity test? But I do hear that there's power to the speakers when I plug them in, I can hear a hum but no sound of music coming out.

Anybody have an idea of the possibilities that it could be?
Thanks

·
Registered Hoosier
4,774 Posts
You can check for speaker output with an AC volt meter, or you can unplug the radio and do a continuity test. If you have one of the old speakers, you can use it to test.

·
Registered Hoosier
4,774 Posts
AC voltage. I don't know what voltage you should see, but you should see voltage. No voltage means open in wiring or no output from radio.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I finally learned how to check for continuity ( it was so simple ) and for those who dont know what continuity is. I didn't just too many other things going on. And I do have continuity from the stereo body harness to the speakers, aligator clipped to the multimeter and probed the harness until it hit hot.

So the decks can actually fail on a set of speakers?
and the others will work?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do you tell which side from the deck harness to connect positive & negative to the speaker?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally aligator clipped ground to multi meter probed each connection from the deck to speakers and speakers themselves I have power to everything, Just no music coming out the speaker.

·
Registered Hoosier
4,774 Posts
You should check with meter on AC voltage in place of the speaker, or substitute a known good speaker.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked and I have a good reading for power and i put a new speaker up to it and still nothing.

Could this be a headunit thats bad on just the door speakers?

·
Registered
297 Posts
It's possible the amp in the head unit failed, what kind of stereo is it?
Do you still have your old stereo just to try and see if it plays?

The speaker cone moves back and forth to generate sound, so it's a swinging voltage like AC that's moving down the speaker wires, Look up a sine wave, AC voltage is a constant wave, Audio is a wave with varying peaks. There should never be DC voltage going to the speakers, if so it's likely an amp issue.

So if you want to check for a signal coming from the stereo, you just set your meter to AC Voltage and connect one to Positive and one to Negative at the speaker, if you are getting a signal, you'll see numbers bouncing all over the place. If there's no signal it'll stay very still and likely close to zero.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh really?

Kenwood exceleon KDC X302

Ahh that makes sense, I just checked for DC and nothing, so good there.

I just rechecked it, it has signal, I set meter to ac and the readings were bouncing all over the place, it didnt read anything by touching both positive and negative on the speaker wires until I connected a aligator clip to the negative and found a ground to touch though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Did you install it yourself ? Didn't you use the factory radio wiring harness adapter? About $15 at any parts store .makes the wire colors match the universal aftermarket stereo wire colors for an idiot proof install. If you had a shop do it it probably has one. If it doesn't take it back and get a full refund. There is no need to cut the stock wires.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes I put it in myself and everything worked after the install. I used a an adapter wiring harness that came with all my new parts. Thanks, thats cool wish I wouldve found that at first, I avoid local parts stores except Napa and summit, only for certain things.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm trying to get a hold of a friend who is incredibly well versed in amps and how they work.
Seeing as you have a Kenwood and the presence of AC I'd say it's probably working. But through chassis ground is what's throwing me for a loop. Once I get some more info I'll post up some more.

I've seen a lot of cheapo "media receivers" just plain stop working and wasn't sure what you were using.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok thanks,

I just took the whole door apart Friday night and checked all the wiring and unplugged the connector harness that comes off the door to the speaker wires and tested that too.

I put in all new speakers and a new deck about 3 years ago everything worked good the sound sucked though it didn't get as loud as my stock system and it really pissed me off I was like all this and it was a waste but my stocks speakers were blown but now these ones aren't as loud so it sucks too. I like how the stock system is turned on right when the car turns on kind of thing and you can adjust the volume right then and turn it up and you can easily change channels and stuff with this Kenwood you know it's got a power up it's got to change mode and do all this stuff and then the volume button so touchy that you can touch it and then it goes to function mode so you can't just turn it up and turn it down.

Well yeah besides that I think what might have happened that caused this problem is a bunch of snow and water got down into the door areas when it was storming hard, so maybe that shorted the head units door speakers only on the unit? And it's still working on the dash.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts