S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got this alarm and im very happy with it but I want to see about adding in some proximity sensors and or shock sensors, power door actuators, and an extra siren. Does anyone know how hard these items would be to hook up to the alarm and would it void my warranty? Im guessing so, so the question now is....how much would they charge for em and install probably? I appreciate all the help guys, and any info on where to find this stuff helps =-) Thanks again!

·
Registered
132 Posts
dorr lock actuators will be about $150-$180 installed. Shock sensors about $75 installed. Proximity about $100-$150. All this is from recent experience of shopping for my alarm. I ended up with a Viper 850 XV. No pager, but has the shock sensors. Did not opt for the proximity, but I don't keep anything expense ive my bed, which, in my opinion, would be the only reason to need that on a truck. I got a glass brak sensor insttead which I believe was $55 installed.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got mine done at circuit city. I figured if i got the proximity sensors put on i would rule out the need for glass break sensor and shock sensors, cause it'd be going off before they could touch anything. I'd still like to have a tilt sensor though so no one could jack me for my rims =-)

Do you think they would have these parts on hand or should i just pick up the sensors off ebay or something and have them installed?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This morning i actually got a chance to look at it and it does have one dual stage shock sensor up front and it works okay for the hood back to the bed/cab area. I want to add another one soon, and a sensor for my tailgate so if its opened it'll sound. I also want a prox sensor. I am glad i got to go look at it cause for a min last night i didnt think i had s*%t for features on it, but i guess it was my own fault cause i didnt know what to press to do what yet and it was too dark to look around =-).

I do want to add some power locks so i can use the keyless entry...does anyone knwo where i can get all the parts to do this and roughly how much it'd be? Thanks!

·
Network Pimp
1,110 Posts
Doesn't that have the Remote with the LCD on it???

I have a simmilar unit and just a heads up, it goes through batterys quick... Especially if you use it much to arm/disarm + other ext funtions...

Most of the DEI/Viper alarms you can add tons of features onto... The parts themself aren't that much its the labor to get them put on...

I added a 2nd Siren, a 130db Pain Generator and Viper Voice Module to mine...

You should be able to get power door lock modules for 25.00-50.00 each... Look at http://www.autoloc.com/products/solenoidsandactuators.lasso

They are just one of the many places you can get actuators and soleinoids... If you can get your door pannles off you can instal them and if you have the manual to your alarm they shouldn't be that hard to hook up.. You may need a few replays...

As far as the proximity senser they were really cool when tehy came out, because I had never seen anyone with one, so I had to have it, but in reality, I think they are a hassle and more of a pain... I got a lot of Falses from mine...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yeah proximities are easy to get out of adjustment, and when they do they false alarm all the time. Plus the proximity wont cover you if someone gets in through the rear window. They are only good for the sides back to about the back of the side of the cab. I was told this at 3 of the 4 places I went to shop for alarms. They said if you have a convertible then they are good, otherwise, not recommended. When I had proximity on my Clifford alarm on my 88 Mustang Convertible it was fine for about 3 months then it would screw up, need adjustment. It really was a hassle.

I got my Viper done at Circuit City too. The lock actuators were only $25 each, but the labor was $50 per door and I hear it is not easy because there is no room to work. My alarm has dual shock sensors and I added the glass break. I am happy. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, yall may be right about the prox sensors. Cuase it does say thats is really recommended for t-tops and stuff mainly. I can see how they would become a hassle. I'd probably be happy with just a rear shock sensor and a switch to tell me if my tailgate is opened. If they hit the window hard enough to break it my shock sensor would go off so I dont even think i'd need a glass break sensor, but may get one in the future anywho just to be safe.

So all i'd have to buy to go from nothing to power locks is the actuator, the actual panel with the buttons (or just cut out holes for buttons on mine) and labor if i didnt install it myselff? Is this correct? I plan on doing this first, then the shock sensor, then maybe some other stuff. Does that sound about right or am i missing out on something? Thanks a million guys...

·
What next??
1,460 Posts
You could probably get one of those magnetic switches for the tailgate instead of the shock sensor. I guess they're kinda like that ones they use on the windows of houses. They may be cheaper then getting another shock sensor.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, the hood has a lil pin like thing that is inactive when depressed, but when the hood is popped it comes up and sounds the alarm. THe doors have something similar, and i figured the tailgate would be good with one too. Also, the front sensors range isnt too good beyond the cab so i figure if i have another one back there too (since my system is in a cutout into the bed), i'd be well covered so if they bumped it or tried to open it one of the two would sound. I'd also like a battery backup and an additonal siren, but again....the whole setup set me back about $500 as is, so it'll be another two weeks before I can start adding much =-). SO i figure i'll take this time to do some research.

·
Registered
132 Posts
On the doorlocks all you need is the actuators. No cutting for door lock buttons. The remote controls the door locks and the system can be wired to lock the car 5 seconds after you start it and to unlock it when you turn off the key. To unlock the car manually rom the inside, you just push up on the existing slider like you do now. As for the bed, if you have a system in there, get a relay wired in for your bed cover and a tailgate lock.

·
Registered
132 Posts
That is correct. I believe your alarm already has the relay for the doors built in.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
What do you guys think of this for roughly $30 bucks shipped?

Here's a link to the auction....

Here is the product description:
2 Power Door Lock Actuators with mounting hardware, mounting straps, prewired harness, relay module and 15 amp in line fuse and fuse holder. Brand new, factory sealed!

Features:
- 2 Heavy Duty Door Lock Actuators with 5 wire connections.
- Lock or Unlock via your Key, Door Lock Button or Alarm / Keyless Entry System.
- Main Harness set is prewired for a plug and play installation.
- Connects to your Alarm System with only 2 wires.

It includes:
- 2 Five Wire Heavy Duty Door Lock Actuators
- 2 Mounting Straps
- 2 Door Lock Rods
- 1 Relay Module
- 1 Plug in Harness with 15amp inline fuse and holder
- 1 Mounting Hardware Bag
- Install Instructions

This looks like a good deal and a fairly easy install to boot. Anyone know for sure what all i'd need to do to hook em up to my alarm and all? Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts