S-10 Forum banner
121 - 140 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
2002Chevy S-10 LS 4x4 Club Cab
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 · (Edited)
It's finished for this weekend. There is definitely a art of some kind to doing vinyl. About two full days of work was done here to get where you need to go. This weekend we succeeded with hood, left front fender, left drivers door, left rear passenger door, the wrap around by rear window. My son actually ended up doing all of this very slow tedious work, I appreciated immensely, I love the new look Everything looks great. Please enjoy.
Hank
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hank
Looks good when is the projected finish date? Roughly how many hours to do what you have done so far? As you and son have gained experience do you think the rest will go faster?
Don

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Hank
Looks good when is the projected finish date? Roughly how many hours to do what you have done so far? As you and son have gained experience do you think the rest will go faster?
Don
Started Friday night, all day Saturday, finished up early afternoon Sunday. Probably about 16 hours. Guessing about 3 more weekends. The two rear fenders will be needing some extensive body work first. Previous owner repaired rusted fenders by cutting out old metal parts with new welded metal, that needs to be ground down and smoothed out. My son did the rear left side door really fast Sunday morning, their are times it goes well, then times it doesnt.
Hank

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
This Weekends Plans;
I need to take off the rest of the emblems and door molding off the right side of vehicle. Emblems off the tail gate. Also remove tonneau cover and molding pieces on both tops of rear fenders.. Adhesive removal for all of this too. Have a great weekend everyone, be safe.
Hank
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Truck

Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Plant Tire

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 · (Edited)
I was successful in removing everything as planned. However I need help in removing the final layer of gunk from my removed trim. I used a adehesive remover from Walmart and alcohol, the rubbing kind, sorry not the drinking kind, but however there is still a film that needs to go to get a totally smooth service prior to wrapping used some sandpaper caused by putty knife scraping paint. Please note examples here from tailgate where S-10 and Chevrolet emblem used to be. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Hank
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Grey Rectangle

Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Plant Tire

The Buck Stops Here: This photo is really Deer (dear) to me.
Plant Eye Elk Natural material Human body

Realistic Colorado lawn art.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grey Grille Automotive design

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
I have used both Goo-Gone and WD40....both worked well for me, though it's still a lot of work!
MR. BIG BUFORD,
I did try wd-40 it did not work. ALSO I am staying away from anything waxy or oil based because the vinyl wrap won't stick to those typer of surfaces, thank you anyway, Have a nice day.

Hank
I used brake cleaner and a shop towel when I removed the dealer logo off my tailgate and it doesn't seem to have damaged my paint at all and that was 4 years ago.
Good to know, I will try that was the brake cleaner an oil or non oil type?
Hank
Liquid Automotive tire Fluid Bottle cap Road surface

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 · (Edited)
That right bedside looks like it's nothing but bondo, lol.
You can see the weld marks where apparently the original fenders rusted out and they cut them out and welded in new metal. My son stated he plans on grinding down those welds and reforming back to original shape.
Please zoom in on the photo and look about four inches over the top of the tire. You will see what I mean, really bad weld job

Thanks Hank
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Truck

·
Registered
840 Posts
My hat is off to y'all, that's a sweet looking ride!
Does anybody have a cost estimate from a professional shop? I'd thnk the crew would be ideal since there's a lot of smaller areas that can be handled individually as opposed to some vehicles with no breaks from front to rear.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
My hat is off to y'all, that's a sweet looking ride!
Does anybody have a cost estimate from a professional shop? I'd thnk the crew would be ideal since there's a lot of smaller areas that can be handled individually as opposed to some vehicles with no breaks from front to rear.
One local shop here in Colorado stated they could do my truck for $2700. For an S-10. Some guy on the internet told me once $5000 for a full size lifted Ram. I only have $500 invested for the material I bought in December.
Hank
Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
One local shop here in Colorado stated they could do my truck for $2700. For an S-10. Some guy on the internet told me once $5000 for a full size lifted Ram. I only have $500 invested for the material I bought in December.
Hank
View attachment 365372
One more thing, I forgot to mention the shop that quoted me the $2700, also mentioned that included a 7 year guarantee on the wrap job as long as I followed his after wrap instructions. Those included minimize contact in sun washing it weekly, hand wash soap and water, difinetly no pressure washers. Having it ceramic protected after the wrap is finished and no Armour all, (tire shine products) tire products, this splashes back onto the wrap and causes staining.
Thank you Hank
I can do this!

121 - 140 of 143 Posts