S-10 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1997 s10 ls, 5 speed/2.2.
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys have vinyl flooring in your trucks? S10 or non s10?
Really looking to replace the carpet in both of my trucks with the vinyl flooring from rockauto.
Here's my thoughts:
Pros: easier to clean, doesn't hold smells like carpet, and maybe the vinyl might be tougher than carpet?
Cons: taking time to swap out, less noise insulation.
The trucks in question are a 1997 s-10 sclb 2.2/nv1500 and 2002 silverado 4.8/4l60e

The carpet in the silverado is just.....uh...fubar and the s10 carpet looks great. Thought when I take the s10 carpet out and swap for vinyl I can give it to my friend who has a 1998 s10 that the previous owner ripped the carpet out of and left a bare floor. Will 1997 carpet even fit a 1998 cab? Sorry for all the questions.
Admin remove the post if the non-s10 portion of this question breaks any rules and I will make a new post with just the s10

·
Registered
1997 s10 ls, 5 speed/2.2.
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's the thing. I use my trucks as everything. Work, play, driving for fun. You think vinyl flooring would be better for mud, red dirt, lucas red-n-tacky grease that always ends up on the bottom of my boots, kids spilling mcdonalds, sweet tea and chicken nuggets, on and my wife stepping on that water bottle full of gas in the passenger floor board that I used to bottle feed an old 454 that's been sitting for 10 years? Something to just hit with the hose and dry quicker than carpet?

·
Premium Member
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
1,719 Posts
Really looking to replace the carpet in both of my trucks with the vinyl flooring from rockauto.
Here's my thoughts:
Pros: easier to clean, doesn't hold smells like carpet, and maybe the vinyl might be tougher than carpet?
The trucks in question are a 1997 s-10 sclb 2.2/nv1500 and 2002 silverado 4.8/4l60e

The carpet in the silverado is just.....uh...fubar and the s10 carpet looks great. Thought when I take the s10 carpet out and swap for vinyl I can give it to my friend who has a 1998 s10 that the previous owner ripped the carpet out of and left a bare floor. Will 1997 carpet even fit a 1998 cab? Sorry for all the questions.
Admin remove the post if the non-s10 portion of this question breaks any rules and I will make a new post with just the s10
Here's another 'con' to consider. The vinyl is an impermeable material, and can trap moisture/ water under it and may actually promote rust (esp. if the interior gets "hosed"). And, IIRC, the '96 and '97 S10 cabs are the same (assuming both are 2WD or 4WD) so the flooring should 'transfer' from one to another. However, my approach would be to skip the vinyl, replace the Silverado carpet with new (and keep the carpet in the '97 S10), and then get some good floor mats, like from Weather Tech.

·
Registered
1994 GMC Jimmy SLE 4.3 CPI 4x4
1,174 Posts
I have vinyl floors in my ‘15 Silverado with 500k miles on it, the heel of my boot has worn out a good part of it. A few weeks ago that lead to my shifter cable giving up the ghost and me stuck in reverse waiting for a flatbed to rescue me. Replaced the cable and screwed a mud flap to the floor, maybe look into those thick mats if you go the vinyl floor route.

·
Been there Done it
15,716 Posts
I'm with @aitch on this. Rubber or vinyl flooring will get water under it and since it is non breathable you'll accelerate rusting of the floor because the water can't evaporate like it does thru carpet. And they don't make replacement floor panels for 2nd gens. Best best is good floor mats, although I'm wasn't impressed with the fit of the "computer designed" Whether Tech mats in the front of an Audi we had. They fit like $25 parts store mats. For 4 times the price. But they do still catch most of it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
What are you calling "vinyl flooring"? I looked at Rockauto and they have carpeting under "vinyl flooring ". If it were me I'd put a GM (or equivalent) rubber mat with jute backing behind it and call it good. Near as I can tell GM doesn't put rubber floor mats in trucks with a console like the ZR 5; I wish they did. Carpet is a big PIA in a truck; esp. a smaller truck. You can't even get in there very well to vacuum. I have removed a rubber mat, scrubbed it with soap and water and it looks like a new one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here's my thoughts:

The carpet in the silverado is just.....uh...fubar and the s10 carpet looks great. Thought when I take the s10 carpet out and swap for vinyl I can give it to my friend who has a 1998 s10 that the previous owner ripped the carpet out of and left a bare floor. Will 1997 carpet even fit a 1998 cab? Sorry for all the questions about vinyl flooring atlanta.
Anyone done it? Can it be done without a molded kit? I hate carpet in my trucks and this would make the x 100% perfect. I know you can bed line it but I'm not a fan of that.

·
Premium Member
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
1,719 Posts
Anyone done it? Can it be done without a molded kit? I hate carpet in my trucks and this would make the x 100% perfect. I know you can bed line it but I'm not a fan of that.
I would suspect that trying to use regular sheet vinyl for a truck flooring would be an exercise in futility, and end up looking like s**t. Sheet vinyl flooring comes in varying grades, with differing thicknesses of backing. Obviously the thinner the backing, the more pliable it is. And some of the backings, depending on their composition, can be somewhat hydrophilic in nature (they can attract/ retain moisture), which can promote mold - not a desirable feature. And, there is also the issue of trapping moisture, as per #4 above.

The typical sheet vinyl (residential or commercial grades) is not conducive to taking on all of the multitudes of compound curvatures (both convex and concave) and contour changes found in almost all vehicles' floor pans. While the flooring can certainly be cut and seamed (either heat weld or chemical weld), needed to even attempt to address the floor pan, any flooring with a discernable pattern will (additionally) look awful with all of the seams. Also, I doubt that 'off the shelf' vinyl flooring has been formulated to account for harsh temperature exposure(s), like winter. The vinyl gets cold, brittle, and prone to cracking. In summary, I'd dismiss the idea of trying to use any type of non-molded vinyl as a finish for the cab. A rough analogy would be like trying to neatly wrap a piece of (dry) paper around a ball. If vinyl flooring was really a viable option, I'm certain vehicle manufacturers would have already utilized it.

·
Registered
2002 S10 2WD (4.3L, AT)
362 Posts
Agree with several other posters here....just replace the carpet for all the previously stated reasons.

If I really didn't want the carpet because of a steady stream of messes, then I would just remove the carpet and have straight-up metal floor pan covered with the best available floor mat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts