S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I've recently begun the internal debate of adding A/C to my first gen and have a few questions that might settle things for me.

I'm leaning towards a Vintage Air kit as I don't know if I really want to try sourcing 30 year old A/C stuff.

So far I've concluded I need a GenII mini unit from Vintage Air, I can re-use the factory ducting (at least the vent portions). I'll need to either notch the frame if I want to use the stock LS condenser location or a swap/relocation bracket for the high position mount.

What I'm not certain on and can't find anything in old threads is control mounting. Has anyone found a control panel from Vintage that either re-uses the factory controls or is the approximate size as to not look out of place?

In short..... anyone have pics of Vintage Air controls in a '86+ 1st gen?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I've recently begun the internal debate of adding A/C to my first gen and have a few questions that might settle things for me.
I hate driving anything without AC
I'm leaning towards a Vintage Air kit as I don't know if I really want to try sourcing 30 year old A/C stuff.
you will be happier using new than the old stuff
So far I've concluded I need a GenII mini unit from Vintage Air, I can re-use the factory ducting (at least the vent portions). I'll need to either notch the frame if I want to use the stock LS condenser location or a swap/relocation bracket for the high position mount.
the mini is nice, but I have since swapped out both my geniis for gen IVs. The fully 100% electrical controls make it worth it. Then ad the Dakota digital auto control, and set it to whatever temp you want and never touch it again. Just like a brand new modern vehicle.
What I'm not certain on and can't find anything in old threads is control mounting. Has anyone found a control panel from Vintage that either re-uses the factory controls or is the approximate size as to not look out of place?
leave your stock controls there in the dash to look the part, and, like me, put the controls in your center console, hidden out of view. Easy.
In short..... anyone have pics of Vintage Air controls in a '86+ 1st gen?
I can post pics, but it’s useless, because you cant see the controls. (they can mount horizontal or vertically, and is about 2x4 inches.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the mini is nice, but I have since swapped out both my geniis for gen IVs. The fully 100% electrical controls make it worth it. Then ad the Dakota digital auto control, and set it to whatever temp you want and never touch it again. Just like a brand new modern vehicle.
Are the Gen IV units the same size as the Gen II Minis?

I'll have to look into the Dakota Digital auto control. I do want to have some adjustment while driving being that I hope to drive in the three seasons of Canada.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm curious about VintageAir in a first gen as well. I'm playing with AC installs currently in 2 different S10's.

First is a stock 86 4cyl (duke) with factory AC. The controls work fine, so I just ordered the cheapest AC parts from RockAuto and threw them in. Everything I ordered was GPD brand I think, and was $320 total. (new compressor, condenser, dryer, pag oil, orifice tube, clutch switch). I flushed the evaporator and lines; then bolted all the new parts in, pulled vacuum, charged with 134, and it blows cold air as expected. It's been installed for about a week, and so far so good! My point with this story, is you can get brand new parts that will bolt into factory locations, and they work. (obviously I can't speak to the longevity of those parts yet).

Second is my LS swapped 87. Yesterday I installed my Kwik Performance AC bracket/pulley kit, and installed the AC Compressor. I ordered the required belt right away, and installed that so I can still drive the truck while I'm figuring out the rest of the system/components. I'll need a condenser that mounts outside of the core support, as I have CPW rad/fan that fills the entire inside area. Anyone have any ideas or part#'s that work for this? I think this can be resolved with a call to VintageAir, but if anyone has any info to share, please do!

I can't find much info on the install process for the VintageAir units in 1st gen S10's. I'm assuming I need to order their kit/parts, pull the dash, and just make brackets and figure out what needs to happen as I go? Anyone have pics of their install behind the dash and at the firewall?

That Dakota Digital auto control is slick. I'll look into that as well!

if it helps anyone, here's the Kwik bracket mounted in a first gen (this is their high-mount bracket made to work with stock GM Corvette accessories/water pump)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't find much info on the install process for the VintageAir units in 1st gen S10's. I'm assuming I need to order their kit/parts, pull the dash, and just make brackets and figure out what needs to happen as I go? Anyone have pics of their install behind the dash and at the firewall?

That Dakota Digital auto control is slick. I'll look into that as well!

if it helps anyone, here's the Kwik bracket mounted in a first gen (this is their high-mount bracket made to work with stock GM Corvette accessories/water pump)
Thanks for posting that Kwik bracket, it or a similar bracket is on my list of parts I'll need.

I think I can likely get most OEM underhood stuff but it's currently a non-AC truck, so I don't know what I'm missing plus with the LS swap there's bound to be some issues.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The bracket/kit is annoyingly expensive, but I didn't have to spend a bunch of time fabricating, figuring out which idler and tensioners pulleys to use, etc. So, It's actually worth the price from that perspective, IMO.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've looked at this quite a bit and even sourced several mockup units. Old Air Products has a compact unit that is similar to the Vintage Air but has connections that directly penetrate the firewall rather than exiting into the passenger foot space. It should be much easier to hook up. They also have a control unit, vertically orientated, that can be adopted to the S10 control location.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've looked at this quite a bit and even sourced several mockup units. Old Air Products has a compact unit that is similar to the Vintage Air but has connections that directly penetrate the firewall rather than exiting into the passenger foot space. It should be much easier to hook up. They also have a control unit, vertically orientated, that can be adopted to the S10 control location.
You wouldn't happen to have a link to this kit would you?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts