S-10 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
85 S10 pickup, 5 speed manual 4x4

Ok, so I've got a vibration at 40 MPH indicated. Not engine related (coasting with engine off still causes vibration). I've replaced every u joint, the carrier/center support bearing, the transmission rear bushing and oil seal, but it remains. So it must be coming from somewhere in front of the rear output shaft of the transmission. However, it also vibrates when not in gear, so it must be the transmission, right? It's not tire/suspension related (removed driveshaft and "drove" to 40 MPH indicated - still vibrates. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Also - I can get the 4 wheel drive into 4 high (actuates fine), but I cannot move the selector into 4 low. The button on the selector seems to be stuck - can this be lubed/repaired?

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: I am able to get it into 4 Low now - but it took a LOT of force to push the button on the lever far enough down to allow it to go back to 4 low. I shot a bunch of wonder-drug 40 into the area around the button, I'll see if that loosens it up. I don't know the theory of the selector, I'm assuming the button doesn't do anything but prevent someone from pulling the lever to 4 low, so I think it's just a problem with the lever mechanism. I'll see if it loosens up with the WD40 treatment. If not, might have to source a new lever.

I'm going to go ice my thumb now... It took so much force to push that button that it's sore now... :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts