S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here are some facts:

I worked out the numbers then contacted viair to make shure they where correct.
Below is what we found out.

The 450C
on a 110-145 pressure switch has only a 60% duty cycle!! that means the longest it is alowed to run per ''on' cycle is 6 min on and 4 min off. the largest tank it can fill and maintain its proper duty cycle is a 6 gal tank. recomended fill time (max) 2 min 11 sec. (5 gal)

The 380C
on a 165-200 pressure switch has only a 55% duty cycle!! that means the longest it is alowed to run per ''on' cycle is 5.5 min on and 4.5min off. the largest tank it can fill and maintain its proper duty cycle is a 5 gal tank. recomended fill time (max) 3 min 30 sec.

I am soon going to work out a formula to calculate duty cycle for you pressure range.

please keep these numbers in mind when you are switch happy ;)

·
The other "BODY" man
6,277 Posts
I'm gonna keep my 450,, but I'm going with a nitro set up, real soon,, I have the line, fittings, regulator, and some home made cradles! just have to buy the tank, and I'm switch happy!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I thought that the 450's were rated at a max psi of 180? Sorry for the newbie ? but what happens when a duty cycle drops? Does it damage the comp's or what?

·
Registered
174 Posts
or jsut buy blowjax dc5000 that run 100% duty up to 200psi... and for 179 each, you cant beat it....not to mention they are 100% rebuildable if they blow up.

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
dragginbody365 said:
or jsut buy blowjax dc5000 that run 100% duty up to 200psi... and for 179 each, you cant beat it....not to mention they are 100% rebuildable if they blow up.
um not to start anything do you have a add to show this?

all of thos line of comps are based of the same head design just diff motors, they have a normal max pressure of 120-150 and a duty get this is 50% at that pressure ;) they so over rate there comps. but again I MAY be wrong and would be happy to see more info on these.

ALSO yes viair does state 100%duty at 100PSI... that is true just alot of people just think they can run them all the time ;)

LAST if you run them over 160PSI you will draw excess current on the motor and the brushes will fail prematurely on the comps. no biggie if you know how to replace them., just letting ya know :)

"3/4HP DC5000 BARE [email protected]

Call 800-682-8789 *(011) 480-668-5448 International, for help. 3/4HP 100% DUTY This is the BEST money can buy. It will go up to 200PSI, but we recommend to never run over 140PSI; it takes too much effort to build pressure after 140PSI. Simply blows
"

http://www.truckn-store.com/product.asp?returnURL=default.asp&ID=84615

and also all most all there comps state "Do not run compressors over 120psi if you want them to last."

That kinda scares me a bit lol :eek:

·
Beer, Bait and Ammo
6,207 Posts
DJDAudio said:
um not to start anything do you have a add to show this?

That kinda scares me a bit lol :eek:

word

·
Registered
174 Posts
no add, just experiance. I ran 2 of em on my 12 gal. tank. My was a daily and i drove 60 miles to work in New Orleans everyday. I ran those things hard, and i never had a problem. The worst thing that ever happened was i burned a plastic airline. But I will confess, i never brought em to 200psi but on occassion. I have a autometer air pressure gauge that stops at 150, and thats when i would shut em off. And dont get me wrong, im not bashing viair. they are good too...but compare 179 for a dc5000, which is equal to viairs 550, which is 279 i think.

Its all personal experiance and preferance, and i have faith in both, blowjax is just cheaper.

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dragginbody365 said:
no add, just experiance. I ran 2 of em on my 12 gal. tank. My was a daily and i drove 60 miles to work in New Orleans everyday. I ran those things hard, and i never had a problem. The worst thing that ever happened was i burned a plastic airline. But I will confess, i never brought em to 200psi but on occassion. I have a autometer air pressure gauge that stops at 150, and thats when i would shut em off. And dont get me wrong, im not bashing viair. they are good too...but compare 179 for a dc5000, which is equal to viairs 550, which is 279 i think.

Its all personal experiance and preferance, and i have faith in both, blowjax is just cheaper.

cool thats nice to hear alot of people love those comps.
Thanks for your input.

·
**** YOU
18,901 Posts
i run my 450 for much longer than 6 minutes most of the time.. ill have it running all the way to school ( 10ish minutes) everyday and then other times when im just fkin around till be on 15ish minutes then off for like 5 then back on.. nitrogen bottle does no good when ur broke and its empty :haha:

·
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
857 Posts
dragginbody365 said:

Where can you get em for 179?

·
former owner
7,389 Posts
10on22s said:
it states in all viairs adds in small red print that there all 100% duty cycle @ 100psi at 72 degrees......
:doh:

That doesn't mean they run 100% all the time. They can be run constantly up to 100psi. If your tank pressure never got above 100psi then yeah, you could run them all day. But once your tank gets above 100psi, you begin to need cut off time for the comp.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts