S-10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok get the nuts loose but do not remove them then place a socket over the lower nut place a nut on a long bolt then place the bolt into the hole of the back side of the socket then place the head of the bolt at the top ball joint nut then just move the nut on the bolt so it puts pressure on the socket and just keep moving the nut until "BAAM" you bust them both loose!!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
yeah i saw that method in my haynes manual and if phils method doesn't work, i'll prob try that method this weekend

·
NuLowz Customs
739 Posts
im all about going at the control arms and spindle with a mini-sledge... ive found that the pickleforks tear up those 6 dollar dust boots...

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
Dude all ya need to do is rap the side of the spindle with a 3lb sledge and they break every time..that nut/bolt/socket thing is interesting, but while your setting that up Ill be pulling the springs already..

·
Audi Tech
2,485 Posts
I'll stick to my pit man arm puller. by far the fastest way i've used. costs $15 and with 1 to 2 full turns using a wrench the ball joint is separated. pickle forks will possibly fock up the grease boot or ball joint and a sledge hammer on a old rusted truck may take a little longer. I've dropped many trucks so a $15 tool was worth it imo

·
the spl king
297 Posts
with my old ball joints, the stock ones, those things were a mofo to get out, but my new ones came out like nothing

all i have to do is lift the frame of my truck up, maybe about 8inches off the ground
and then have another jack under the lca and then i start to lower the lca. the upper ball joint comes off the spindle n/p

with my lower ball joints, i just let a shop put them in, because i don't have the tool to install them

but my uppers are the aftermarket ones that autozone sells

ive only had the new ones in sinces like mid of may

check them out to make sure their are lub up and its all good for me

the stock upper ball joints, i had to cut them out, it took forever, it felt like

·
14,970 Posts
y2k xtreme said:
not a bad idea at all man!!

i still like my "beat it to death with a hammer" method. very good in relieving some stress too:thumbup:
beat it to relieve stress???...hmmmm

but yeah...just a few smacks with a hammer is all ya need.

·
Mad man from michigan
264 Posts
AVTekk said:
Dude all ya need to do is rap the side of the spindle with a 3lb sledge and they break every time..that nut/bolt/socket thing is interesting, but while your setting that up Ill be pulling the springs already..
try that with a set of powder coated spindles and a arms and not mess them up. the $15 puller is the way to go. eyepoppin,ill let you beat on my 3/4 suburbans ball joints when i put the new spindles on, i think they are rusted in place.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts