S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres my problem...basically even when the thermostat control is all the way to the heat position and its set to any vent (floor, panel, defrost) its blowing cool air. I noticed that when in defrost, even when turned all the way toward heat, the compressor is cycling. Im not sure if it should but it has me wondering if maybe theres a problem with the thermostat control...
But on the 15 minute ~70 mph drive from my g/f's, runnin engine speeds in excess of 2600 rpm (short tires...messed with my ratio) the water temp gauge was reading right around that first 1/4 mark which is basically where it has always ran. I dont believe the problem is that its not having time to heat up...
Another problem Ive been dealing with since I bought the truck 6 months ago is Dexcool sludging. I just recently put antifreeze in it, had been running straight water and just flushing it often, prestone flush kit, and occasionally running super flush through it. The antifreeze is green now, before anything i put in there turned brown right away.

I also had to put a new water pump on recently. old one was leaking....remfg unit from napa if it matters.

I know for a fact that it used to blow hot air so its got to be something thats happened since I got it.

sorry it was so long but i wanted to be sure to include enough info.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Maybe could be that your thermostat is stuck open? If so the antifreeze would never have a chance to heat up it justs gets cooled running thru the radiator.....................other that that,??????????

·
H-D motorsports
654 Posts
I agree
The thermostat may be stuck or the heater core may be blocked/plugged up.
Do you know if the thermostat was changed when you had the water pump changed?

·
Registered
619 Posts
put a new thermostat in and when you have it apart pull your heater hoses off and blast water though it with a garden hose nozzle...... get it flowing good both ways. that red crap clogs heater cores REAL well.

the flush kit isn't always enough to unplug the heater core, just forces the water backwards into the block..... just had a 2.2 in the shop with the same problem....... needed a head gasket too because the steam holes in the head plugged up, got hot and cooked the gasket

ac compressor cycling is normal when set on defrost

·
http://www.vicbaggers.com
4,246 Posts
when the knob is on heat, is supposed to come out of all the vents or just the bottom? Thanx

·
Chrome is Gay
3,693 Posts
meeh350 said:
that red crap clogs heater cores REAL well.
:stupid: When dexcool mixes with the green crap it turns into jello......actually more like the residue on the sides of a jello bowl after it's a few days old. It'll plug up your heatercore and make a mess of everything. Maybe consider just taking it to a shop and having them flush the whole system, they will do a backwards flush and whatever else.....works really good. Might be a stat too, thats no big deal. Heatercores are fun to change. Very fun.

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
It's just your thermostat, mine did the same thing last year.

Swap it out for a 195 stat and you'll be set.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bought it today. putting it in the morning. hoping for the best, will let ya know if that was the only problem.
Pretty sure it is though, the engine has been running a bit chilly now that ive been looking at the gauges closer.

·
Registered
619 Posts
German_Xtreme said:
:stupid: When dexcool mixes with the green crap it turns into jello......actually more like the residue on the sides of a jello bowl after it's a few days old. It'll plug up your heatercore and make a mess of everything. Maybe consider just taking it to a shop and having them flush the whole system, they will do a backwards flush and whatever else.....works really good. Might be a stat too, thats no big deal. Heatercores are fun to change. Very fun.
yeah, mixing is bad.... but the red crap sludges on its own..... it breaks down after approx 5 years... isn't stable

·
Work in Progress
79 Posts
make sure you have ENOUGH coolant and water in there. i had the same problem and it was just a low level. engine ran the same temperature as normal but couldn't get heat in the cab.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i had that problem on my car, not the same vehicle, but same circumstances, I didn't put enough coolant in and it got airlocked right before the thermostat, therefore, no heat from the vent, and the engine overheated. :) this was in -30F weather too..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts