S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, all. I've got a problem with my 2001 2.2 4-Cyl S-10.

It seems that the vent / A/C fan control only works when it's on the '3' setting. When on 1, 2, or 4, no air blows out, but it does on 3. This happens when the controls are set to either A/C or the Vent.

When set to 1, 2, or 4, air does flow through the vents when driving at highway speeds (like it's forced through), but not when standing still.

Any ideas of further steps I can take to diagnose the problem or fix it?

Thanks!!

·
Ls1 ftw
164 Posts
Any problems with blowers not working on a few of the speeds is usually a blower motor resistor.
If youre electrically inclined, just find the schematics for the blower motor and test the connector at the resisitor to make sure its getting all the correct signals for each individual speed. If it is, its the resisitor. If not, probably the control head.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any problems with blowers not working on a few of the speeds is usually a blower motor resistor.
If youre electrically inclined, just find the schematics for the blower motor and test the connector at the resisitor to make sure its getting all the correct signals for each individual speed. If it is, its the resisitor. If not, probably the control head.
Thanks for the quick reply! I googled a little bit and didn't come across one, do you happen to know where I could find the schematic?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i got the same problem with my s10 so if u find out wat it is let me know
It was a simple fix, actually. I bought the Blower Motor Resistor at AutoZone for $16.99+tax. The resistor is under the hood, passenger side, right by the cab. Just look for something that's the same size as what you bought with a cable plugged into it. The hardest part is removing the screw closest to the cab - you'll need a short socket or a wrench to get back in there.

Unhook the battery, remove the wire connected to the resistor, take the old one out, put the new one in, hook the wire back up, hook up the battery and you're good to go. It took me about an hour, only because I didn't have the tools to get that back screw out easily.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts